SQL Server Assertion: File:

• Every few days for a couple weeks now we are getting production SQL Server randomly shutting itself down.

The 3 errors we receive in the Application Logs:

(1) SQL Server Assertion: File: , line=1814 Failed Assertion = 'SOS_Task::GetCurrent() == m_parentTask'. This error may be timing-related. If the error persists after rerunning the statement, use DBCC CHECKDB to check the database for structural integrity, or restart the server to ensure in-memory data structures are not corrupted.

(2) A system assertion check has failed. Check the SQL Server error log for details

(3) SQL Server Assertion: File: , line=753 Failed Assertion = 'SOS_Task::GetCurrent() == m_parentTask'. This error may be timing-related. If the error persists after rerunning the statement, use DBCC CHECKDB to check the database for structural integrity, or restart the server to ensure in-memory data structures are not corrupted.

I have run DBCC CHECKDB on all databases and they return no errors or consistency problems. I don't see any hardware problems in device manager or in the logs. It appears this happens at night but not always at the same time (9pm, 1am, etc).

Advice?

Troubleshooting help?

System:

Windows NT 5.2 Build 3790: SP1

SQL Server 2005 9.00.2153.00 X86

This is a system that I have taken over recently, and just about everyone has access to it, but it is critical to the business. We ordered new servers but a migration will take some time. Anything we can do in the meantime? Is there a way to send myself an alert when it shuts down so I can restart the service? Is there reason to be rebooting the server each time (as per "restart the server" in the error message)?

Thanks!!!

• uofmoo (1/19/2009)

Advice?

Troubleshooting help?

Call Microsoft's customer support. Especially since this is a business-critical system

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Agreed - and I just replied to your thread on sqlteam.com with the same advice too.

Paul Randal
    CEO, SQLskills.com: Check out SQLskills online training!
    Blog:www.SQLskills.com/blogs/paul Twitter: @PaulRandal
    SQL MVP, Microsoft RD, Contributing Editor of TechNet Magazine
    Author of DBCC CHECKDB/repair (and other Storage Engine) code of SQL Server 2005

• Is is generating stack dumps

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply