SQL Server Bug

• I have found a bug in SQL Server.

Take the following query:

SELECT DISTINCT systemname

FROM Table1

WHERE SystemName NOT IN ( SELECT SystemName

FROM dbo.Table2 )

[SystemName] is a field on Table1, but NOT on Table2. Therefore, this query should fail. If you execute ONLY the NOT IN clause:

SELECT SystemName FROM dbo.Table2

The query fails properly, with a 'column not found' error. However, running the whole query at once does not fail, it simply returns no records.

The problem arises because the column 'SystemName' is on Table1, and apparently the parser doesn't distinguish. This is easily shown by changing to the field in the NOT IN clause to 'SystemNameXXX'. The whole query fails at once.

You are welcome. 🙂 Where do I submit this to Microsoft?

-----------------------------
    I enjoy queries!

• It's not a bug. You're allowed to reference columns from the outer query inside a subquery. It has to be allowed, or something like this couldn't be done

select * from sys.columns c where exists

(select 1 from sys.tables t where t.object_id = c.object_id)

It's odd that it's allowed in the select, but I can see reasons, like this rather odd possibility

SELECT * FROM Table1 INNER JOIN Table2 ON < Join clause >

WHERE Table1.Col1 IN (SELECT Col3 + '/' + Table2.Col2 From Table3 WHERE Table2.ColZ = Table3.ColZ)

You're welcome to go and submit it on Connect, but I suspect it will be closed 'By Design'

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thanks for the reply! Sure looks like a bug, but yeah, referencing column inside has to be available. Not a bug, but sure does stink. ><

-----------------------------
    I enjoy queries!

• This is one reason why columns should always be prefixed with the name or alias of the table they're from. It's just good practice and, if you do that, putting the wrong column inside the subquery will throw errors.

SELECT DISTINCT

Table1.systemname

FROM dbo.Table1

WHERE Table1.SystemName NOT IN

( SELECT Table2.SystemName

FROM dbo.Table2 Table2

)

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply