SQL Server Bulk Insert

• I am trying to load a CSV file into a table and maintain NULLs. If I use the import wizard, the file loads okay, but the empty fields are zero strings instead of NULLs.

I have tried the BULK INSERT statement, but I get an Msg 4861, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

(cannot find file path) error

I have tried copying the file to my local drive, and still get this error using BULK INSERT. I log on using Windows Authentication.

Any advice is appreciated.

• Please post the code you are using

• Below is the code

BULK INSERT DBO.an_STLaw_SampInfo

FROM 'C:\Data\sampling_info_050509_test.csv'

WITH

(

DATAFILETYPE = 'char',

FIELDTERMINATOR = ',',

KEEPNULLS

)

go

• code looks ok.. can you post the exact error messge - also are you sure this is the exact address of the file.. is it on the same box as the server?

• Um, how is a NULL represented in a CSV? Especially if you do not (or cannot) have text delimiters defined?

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• The file is not on the same box as the server. But it is on a server that is part of our internal network.

• It isn't represented as a null, but when I bring in the file, I would like to have the fields represented as NULL instead of a zero length string.

• you cant use the c drive then

• That makes sense, but I have tried it on one of our network drives, and it doesn't work either.

• lallen (5/15/2009)

The file is not on the same box as the server. But it is on a server that is part of our internal network.

In that case, could you script out the DDL of the target table and post it here? We also need a sample of the CSV input rows.

Thnx

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Your problem looks almost the same as what is happening to me! -> LINK

I can't work it out, however it looks like it is down to permissions...

• Its a bit lazy but why not just update the table after the bulk load has finished?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply