SQL Server Cluster question

• I have a windows 2012 server cluster with a single SQL Server 2012 resource running on it. I want to add a second SQL Server to the cluster. When I go in to SQL 2012 setup, if I pick "add a node to a cluster", it cannot find a sql server cluster to add to. Does this mean it is a stand alone instance running on the windows cluster? If so, how do I add another one?

• How many nodes in the cluster?

Who installed the current instance?

Add node is only used once you have run the New failover cluster instance wizard.

Each new clustered instance needs its own shared storage, Virtual IP address and Virtual Networkname.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• It's a two node Windows Failover Cluster. However, it doesn't appear to be a sql server cluster. Do I have to rebuild as a sql server cluster and then add the nodes to that?

• Just to clarify you have a Two node cluster (Active-Passive) with MS SQL Server 2012 running on the Cluster? If that's true and you want to add another SQL Instance you wouldn't choose Add Node. That's used for adding another server to the cluster which would make it a three node cluster.

To add another SQL instance you run Setup from your SQL Server 2012 media, and under Installation choose "New SQL Server failover cluster installation". You need to have storage available on the cluster for this new resource and a network name and IP Address set aside for the instance. Also you need to decide if you're going to run Active-Passive or Active-Active, which this might be dictated by your licensing.

• fantom (10/22/2014)

It's a two node Windows Failover Cluster. However, it doesn't appear to be a sql server cluster. Do I have to rebuild as a sql server cluster and then add the nodes to that?

is the currently installed instance actually clustered?

Post the results from this powershell query run on one of the cluster nodes

get-clusterresource | ?{$_.resourcetype -ilike '*SQL*'}

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply