SQL Server database know how

• I am developing a stand alone application, but I

want to convert my MS Access database into a

SQL Server database. I want to do this to enable

my application with future server needs.

I have few queries about SQL Server:

1) Which version of SQL Server should I use, 7 or 2000?

2) Since SQL Server stores the server/machine name

while installation, what machine name will I have to

give while installing my application in my client's

system.

3) When I have installed SQL Server on my system,

which other software I need to install on my

client's computer.

I'm developing front-end in Visual Basic 6

"Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete. If you're alive, it isn't. "

Richard Bach

• 1.  SQL 2K

2.  I would develop the application in such a way that it reads a file that would contain the SQLServer ServerName.  I assume you are using TrustedConnection.  This way the application would look for a text file in the same directory as itself to know where to go (You build the SQL connection string dynamically).

3.  You may need to install some specific dll's that your VB application uses and possibly some reporting tools other than that you should be good.  Of course you will need to ensure that the proper MDAC version is on their machines....

Good Hunting!

AJ Ahrens

webmaster@kritter.net

• 1) SQL Server 2000

2) Follow AJ's suggestion.

3) You may need MDAC (2.8 has been very stable).  Depending on what your application does, you may need other tools.  I'd advise looking into downloading and working with the Microsoft Visual Studio Installer, a free tool to let you build the MSI files.  This installer program goes off of your Visual Basic project file and includes the references automatically. 

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply