SQL Server DBA-Immediate Hire

• Oustanding opportunity available in Concorde, North Carolina for a SQL Server DBA who has worked in a healthcare organization. Position IMMEDIATELY available for someone with excellent technical SQL Server DBA experience, performance tuning/monitoring, strong report writing skills using Crystal Reports.

**Must have excellent communication and analytical skills.**

**LOCAL CANDIDATES ONLY/OR NEEDS TO BE WILLING TO LIVE IN THE AREA***

**Must have experience in a healthcare or pharmaceutical organization**

Please send word resumes to recruiter@viatecllc.com

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• I have a question to all about the **Must have experience in a healthcare or pharmaceutical organization** statement or statements like that one in job postings. Has any DBA ever not known how to administer or optimize a database based on the type of data in it? I work in an engineering group in the automotive industry. I have Oracle and Sql server databases serving all types of business data. I think I could easily transfer into another industry. Has anyone switched industries and had problems? And what kind of problems would there be?

• I understand what you are saying, but this is at the client's request. We have tried to talk with them, but the want that type of environment experience.

quote:

I have a question to all about the **Must have experience in a healthcare or pharmaceutical organization** statement or statements like that one in job postings. Has any DBA ever not known how to administer or optimize a database based on the type of data in it? I work in an engineering group in the automotive industry. I have Oracle and Sql server databases serving all types of business data. I think I could easily transfer into another industry. Has anyone switched industries and had problems? And what kind of problems would there be?

• I have found that when a job posting requires you to have worked in some field before, that usually means they want someone familiar with the type of data they use. For example, how familiar are you with the importance of Drug Interactions? They might feel that type of thing is extremely important for their DBA.

-SQLBill

• So far I worked in Telecommunication, Retail/Wholesale Energy and Gas and Call center. I don’t have any problem switching between the different environments. The only thing is we must remember the data is critical the availability from 2 to 4 9's

Edited by - Shas3 on 07/30/2003 2:34:49 PM

Shas3

• quote:

And what kind of problems would there be?

According to the job posting, they want someone to design reports as well as handle DBA duties. Healthcare has some unique data rules that a candidate would need to know to design good reports. For instance, all inpatient hospital encounters are paid by Medicare and many insurance companies using what is called a "DRG" code. Each inpatient encounter is assigned only one DRG code and the hospital receives a fixed fee for each DRG code.

These healthcare rules wouldn't take long to learn, but anyone who is in healthcare already knows the rules because they are the same for all hospitals. So candidates with healthcare experience will always have an advantage over candidates from other industries.

• Thanks for your replies. All of them make good points. And I can understand if the search was narrowed to a few, the candidates that had experience in the industry would be preferred. However, I would hate to overlook a good DBA or programmer based on the fact he or she hadn't worked in the industry. Maybe the Health industry is saturated with good DBA's so this isn't a problem.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply