SQL Server DBA.... what next?

• I think we need a new podcast series on MSDN or somewhere, and base it on the TV series 'Trading Spaces'. It could be called perhaps 'Trading Schemas'. Two developers trade projects for a week, review the database design, and then break it down with a list of suggested changes, like normalizing a couple of tables or optimizing a few indexes. Each episode could have two parts, and the viewers can vote on which design changes they think should be most beneficial. In the second episode, the guest developer describes his solution step by step and then gets candid feedback and reaction from the original developer.

What do you think?

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• eric_russell 13013 (5/7/2010)

In the second episode, the guest developer describes his solution step by step and then gets candid feedback and reaction from the original developer.

Can the original developer candidly hit guest developer in the head with a frying pan if he/she doesn't like the recommendations?

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • PaulB-TheOneAndOnly (5/7/2010)

eric_russell 13013 (5/7/2010)

In the second episode, the guest developer describes his solution step by step and then gets candid feedback and reaction from the original developer.

Can the original developer candidly hit guest developer in the head with a frying pan if he/she doesn't like the recommendations?

Sure, that just adds to the drama!

Just like in the series 'Surprised By Design', the changes have already been implemented.

Havn't you ever returned from a two week vacation and had that happen to you?

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• eric_russell 13013 (5/7/2010)

... the changes have already been implemented.

Havn't you ever returned from a two week vacation and had that happen to you?

Yes indeed - that's why I was asking for the availability of the frying pan option 😀

Sign me in!

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply