SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

• ANY RAPID REPLIES GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

I'm running SQL Server 2000 (Developer's Edition) on my notebook (Server name: "EAGLE2K\ALLANA". under Windows 2000). I have been running this computer for under 60 days. I have 3 important databases that I fortunately backed up last night at home. I also connect to 2 other Servers when on the network. I have been running a VB 6 app accessing these db's for nearly 2 months with very few problems. Sometime last night, my app couldn't see the local db's. I tried today, and I was able to access the network servers, but I keep getting the message shown in the Subject of this question. I have tried to update the registration for the server, I have tried to create an additional instance of the server, I have removed the registration of the "missing" server and tried to re-register it, I have tried to create a new Server Group and register a new server ====> All of these attempts have failed. Note that I have started and stopped the service, and I have rebooted the system - also to no avail. In addition, SQL Server Service Manager reports that the server is there and is doing fine.

What's happened to my local instance, and what can I do to fix it? Should I re-install SQL Server on the notebook?

[Additional notes that should not really matter - I am running this on Win2K on VMware, running on Win XP Home. Total memory 256MB, amount allocated to the Win2K session - 128MB. The CPU is 2.4 GHz Pentium 4, with 40 GB of harddrive].

Any suggestions? Thanks,

Allan

• what is the connection string you used from your VB program ?

Linto

• The VB program code is:

cn_FmcAgvdbOhio = "Data PROVIDER=MSDASQL;DSN=AGVS1_a;uid=sa;pwd=;database=FmcAgvdbOhio;"

Note that I have the same DSN setup for the production server on the network - just one says "AGSV1", and the other says "EAGLE2K\ALLANA".

• Actually, the code for the local server in the VB program is:

cn_FmcAgvdbOhio = "Data PROVIDER=MSDASQL;driver={SQL Server};server=EAGLE2k\ALLANA;uid=;pwd=;database=FmcAgvdbOhio;"

• Just to be sure everyone understands what my problem is: It is not with the VB app. I have not changed the connect string in over a month, I have not changed the DSN in nearly a month.

I CANNOT ACCESS THIS DATABASE FROM SQL SERVER ENTERPRISE MANAGER!!!! I WAS ABLE TO "DELETE" IT, BUT WHEN I TRY TO RECREATE IT OR CREATE A NEW LOCAL DATABASE I GET THE ERROR MESSAGE. It just so happens that the VB app can't see it either. The only thing that claims to see the database instance is SQL SERVER SERVICE MANAGER. I can start and stop it, but that's it. Unless I changed the password and or other security settings in my sleep 🙂 [No one else uses this machine - not even my wife - I have it with me at work, and I work on it at home].

Hope that some sees and recognizes the problem and has a good fix for it.

Thanks,

Allan

• This is a brief follow-up: I finally removed SQL Server from my notebook, and re-installed it. I was unable to recreate the same instance (or even just create a new instance with the same name). [Service Manager still showed the old one as active].

I created a new server group, and created a completely new instance of the database.

I still don't know what happened - and I'd be interested in any ideas. I'd like to avoid this occuring again. In the meantime, BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP!!!

Allan

• Can you connect through osql command?

Thien Nguyen

Thien Nguyen

• Attempting to connect via osql returns the following:

[DBMSLPCN]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

[DBMSLPCN]ConnectionOpen (Connect()).

This is the same error I get from other methods.

Note that when I look at the data files (remember that I uninstalled SQL Server 2000 and then re-installed it). I can see the mdf & ldf files.

One of the mdf's is inexplicably renamed from "FmcAgvdbOhio.mdf" to "FmcAgvdbOhip.mdf" and the ldf is still named "FmcAgvdbOhio_Log.ldf". Maybe this has something to do with the problem???

Thanks,

Allan

• Access denied can be a network rights issue. For instance, if you dont have write access to the directory where the .mdf or .ldf files are located you will get this same "Access Denied" message.

-Isaiah

• I'm running SQL Server 2000 (Developer's Edition) on my notebook under Windows 2000.

This is a standalone installation, and network rights are NOT an issue. Just to be sure, I checked the directory properties, and the properties of each of the mdf's and ldf's. All rights are allowed.

Allan

• I am just wondering...

can you get into dos prompt and type

isql -E -SAllana --> this to check if it will allow you to loging using trusted connection

or

isql -Usa -Ppassword -SAllana

as a rule of thumb I always register my server as what it is... in your case ALLANA.

if one or 2 of the querry lets you in then you should get back in to Enterprise Manager and register the server as what your server is instead of local.

mom

• mom - I still get the same error - for both versions.

Thanks anyway,

Allan

• Have you looked through the registry for references to the "OHIP.mdf"? I think the eror youre getting is related to MSSQL not seeing the correct .mdf. MSSQL thinks it doesnt exist because it cant see it. I dont know why your .MDF would change from OHIO.mdf to OHIP.mdf. This doesnt seem to be a random change as O comes right after P. Their is some logic behind this change. I would scan the registry for haywired (crosswired) references to databases. Even after you reilstall MSSQL their can exits bad references in the registry.

Good Luck

-Isaiah

-Isaiah

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply