SQL Server - Domain controller

• Greetings,

yes, all the servers have a static IP.

I am at lost now.... hehe. Does that mean I need to test from a workstation because they have DHCP enabled?

Thank you

MBA

MCSE, MCDBA, MCSD, MCITP, IBM DB2 Expert, I-Net+, CIW

Proud member of the NRA

-Anti-gun laws prevent law abiding citizens to buy guns and defend themselves against bad guys who do not care about the law and get their gun illegally.

- Democracy is 2 wolves and one sheep talking about their next dinner. Freedom is 2 wolves and one armed sheep with a .357 magnum talking about their next dinner.

• have you tried restarting the DNS Server service on DC2.

• you stated DC2 is a virtual server, just for clarification what hypervisor are you using to render this VM?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• kestak (12/16/2008)

Greetings,

Seconday DNs installed and running on DC1.

you have ceated a primary zone and not a secondary?

As both name servers are DC's set them to AD integrated too

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Greetings,

I did not create another zone or did not AD integrate DC2 (I do not even know if DC1 is integrated because I took over the IT infrastructure and it is very very messy...For example, we had a T1 and it was not functional, we had our corporation -400 people- on the cable modem)

I took a look yesterday and I am lost guys with what you said:

1 - How do I create the right way a secondary zone for the DNS (I can't afford to mess up and create an outage)?

2 - Same thing with the AD integrated, how do I do that and check it for DC1?

Again, I am sorry if it is basic stuff but I am by trade a DBA, I got my MCSE in 2001, I really did not concentrate on the AD stuff and forgot most of what I learned because I never used it.... (I know, I should have not let that skill go but they made me work 50-60 hours per week in my previous job and I had to give some time to familly...)

Thank you

MBA

Proud member of the NRA

-Anti-gun laws prevent law abiding citizens to buy guns and defend themselves against bad guys who do not care about the law and get their gun illegally.

- Democracy is 2 wolves and one sheep talking about their next dinner. Freedom is 2 wolves and one armed sheep with a .357 magnum talking about their next dinner.

• kestak (12/18/2008)

I do not even know if DC1 is integrated

see below for how to check this

kestak (12/18/2008)

1 - How do I create the right way a secondary zone for the DNS (I can't afford to mess up and create an outage)?

you dont want secondary zones. You want either a primary or AD integrated zone on a secondary DNS server (DC2). As both DNS servers are DC's i would make the zones AD Integrated (security and replication are the big advantages of doing this).

kestak (12/18/2008)

2 - Same thing with the AD integrated, how do I do that and check it for DC1?

open the DNS MMC and click on "forward lookup zones" under each of the DNS servers. Any zones created will be indicated on the right pane as AD integrated, standard primary or secondary

kestak (12/18/2008)

Again, I am sorry if it is basic stuff but I am by trade a DBA, I got my MCSE in 2001, I really did not concentrate on the AD stuff and forgot most of what I learned because I never used it.... (I know, I should have not let that skill go but they made me work 50-60 hours per week in my previous job and I had to give some time to familly...)

dude stop it my eyes are welling up LOL

• Greetings,

Sorry for your eyes welling. I know, I have a sorry life....;-)

In the DNS MMC, I clicked on forward lookup zones. On the right pane, I have that:

Name : ourcorporatedomain.com

Type: Active directory-Integrated Primary

Under properties/Name Servers:

DC1

DC2

and TerminalService server that has no server DNS service running (See previous msgs for details).

There is no WINS, Zone transfers.

Under SOA tab, orimary server is DC1.

What am I missing?

Thank you

MBA

Proud member of the NRA

• bit difficult to understand when i dont see what you see, are you able to send a screenshot of what you see in DNS MMC?

• Greetings,

Here is a link to an image: http://i445.photobucket.com/albums/qq177/kestak/DC1.jpg

I removed the stuff that can identify the corporation. I hope it is ok.

Thank you

MBA

Proud member of the NRA

• firstly have you removed DNS from the terminal server?

have you installed DNS on DC2?

• Greetings,

Yes and Yes.

The only entry related with DNS on terminalserver in an NS record and in the properties as shown in the image.

Thank you

MBA

Proud member of the NRA

• open the DNS snap in and add each of the DNS servers in then check the zone configs

• open the DNS snap in and add each of the DNS servers in then check the zone configs

• Greetings,

This is done already. It is in the domain.com properties in the Name Servers tab. Right?

Thank you

MBA

Proud member of the NRA

• no, in the DNS snap in right click and add server. You should then see both DNS servers, expand and look at the zone setups

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply