SQL Server Enterprise Edition access more than 8gb

• We've recently purchased a server with 16Gb of RAM and I would like to know if SQL Server Enterprise Edition will be able to access the full 14-16Gb of RAM on Windows 2000 Advanced Server or will Windows 2000 Data Center be required ?

Quote from SQL Server books online

"SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition can access amounts of memory approaching 8 GB on Windows 2000 Advanced Server and approaching 64 GB on Windows 2000 Data Center."

"When awe enabled is set to 1, AWE memory is used, and the instance can access up to 8 GB of physical memory on Windows 2000 Advanced Server and 64 GB on Windows 2000 Data Center. "

Regards,

Steve

• BOL is correct as far as I know. Anything over 8 gig of ram requires datacenter

• Is it possible to get a flavour or version of Windows Advanced Server or SQL Server enterprise to get around this ? OEM version ?

• Not that I am aware of. Check out 2003 and see if it meets your needs. I know they have expanded the advanced offering.

Wes

• Thanks Wes.

Yeah

have checked out 2003 which is now no longer called Advanced server, its called Enterprise edition afaik.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/docs/Reviewersguide.doc

Max RAM IS 32 Gb.

So i am just awaiting confirmation from Microsoft that SQL Server Enterprise Edition will be able to access the full 14-16Gb of RAM on Windows 2003 Enterprise Server.

Steve

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply