Sql Server Export Wizard to Access converts varchar to memo field

• Sql Server 2005's Export Wizard to Access db converts all varchar(n) fields to memo.  How can I change this so it exports it as text(n)?  All of the varchar fields are less than 255 in width.

• Just tried this out.  In the SQL Export Wiz, on the "Select Source Table and Views", click the "Edit" button next to the table that contains a varchar.  Change the field type of all your varchar fields from Long Text to varchar.  Then when it is exported in Access, it will make these fields text fields (rather than memo)

Have a good day,

Norene Malaney

• That worked.  Thank you.   However, is there a way to change SQL Server's internal datatype mapping of exporting to Access so that when it sees SQL Server's varchar(n) it will always choose text(255) or whatever the max for text is in Access instead of "LongText".    I have about a 100 of these exports to do (different tables) and I don't want to edit the map on each one in the wizard.    "Memo" is a pain in Access since you can't join on it nor sort it.

• Glad that helped.  Sorry though, I don't know the answer to:

is there a way to change SQL Server's internal datatype mapping of exporting to Access so that when it sees SQL Server's varchar(n) it will always choose text(255) or whatever the max for text is in Access instead of "LongText".   

Perhaps someone else might. 

GOOD LUCK! 

Norene

Have a good day,

Norene Malaney

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply