Sql server failover cluster losing host routes after failover

• We have two instances of SQL server running as a fail over over cluster. it is a active passive cluster.

We have one instance instance 1 running on node A. And I have an instance 2 running on node B. When I fail over the instance 2 from node B to node A, for some reasons my applications connecting to the instance 1 lose connections to the database server. All the routes to the instance 1 have to be deleted and recreated. I dont understand why the failover on the second instance should affect the first instance. we are on sql server 2008 R2 on windows server r2 Enterprise edition.

Any help in this regard would be appreciated.

• Codezilla-292868 (6/28/2012)

We have one instance instance 1 running on node A. And I have an instance 2 running on node B.

If you only have 2 nodes in the cluster this is not active\passive!

Codezilla-292868 (6/28/2012)

When I fail over the instance 2 from node B to node A, for some reasons my applications connecting to the instance 1 lose connections to the database server. All the routes to the instance 1 have to be deleted and recreated. I dont understand why the failover on the second instance should affect the first instance. we are on sql server 2008 R2 on windows server r2 Enterprise edition.

Any help in this regard would be appreciated.

What errors do you get on connecting after failover?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• i get this error when there is a job running on a linked server:

Named Pipes Provider: Could not open a connection to SQL Server

the job could not connect to the server...

• Check the OLE DB Provider connection, ping with server ...and find connectivity...Linked server not directly get failover like sql server services..it to define on each node for more check http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms188716%28v=sql.105%29.aspx

Regards,
    Shivrudra W

• Codezilla-292868 (6/29/2012)

i get this error when there is a job running on a linked server:

Named Pipes Provider: Could not open a connection to SQL Server

the job could not connect to the server...

Whats the full error message?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply