SQL Server has encountered x occurrence(s) of I/O requests taking longer than 15 seconds to complete on file [E:\DATA\xxxx.mdf]

• This past Saturday I have a log full of these errors. Customers were reporting the software taking forever. The times of these errors along with the support calls suggest the two are related. I have worked with the server guys and they say this isn't an I/O issue at the SAN level. There are 9 other SQL servers attached to the same SAN and no issues with them. What should I be doing to determine the root cause of the issue? We have Idera SQLDM and I see unsually high server waits but this appears to be a symptom and not telling me the cause.

Notes about the error. I see the same error for all the databases which is roughly ~70 on this server on that Saturday. There was a window of 2 hours where this error occurred. There is only 1 job that runs during the time window and it is an hourly tranlog backup.

• Did you install any updates or drivers or any firm-ware upgrade on the DB server recently ..

--

SQLBuddy

• No recent changes by myself or server team.

• It's after the fact by now, but in situations like this, there is likely to be something else using those spindles that is causing the slowdown on the SQL Server side. That's why the SAN guys are telling you that everything looks good from their end, because the SAN is indeed performing properly. It's just that your server isn't getting very much of it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply