SQL server interview question!

• Hi,

I am new to sql server administration. And I was asked this question in one of my interview.

You are unable to connect to sql server. Where do you look to find out the reason?

After I answered , I will look in the windows logs and try to trouleshoot,

they asked,

The server crashed. You cannot access anything. And you are given a new box, what will you do?

what is the first thing that is to be done?Can anyone give the big picture?

Thanks

SVR

• How "crashed" is "crashed". Like, the server caught on fire and the CPU is vaporized? Or Windows Server shut down and you have to use the power switch to start it up again? Or you don't know, you just know it's not responding to DAC? Or it is responding to DAC, but not to anything else?

It really depends on what "crashed" means.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• my answers:

Hi,

I am new to sql server administration. And I was asked this question in one of my interview.

You are unable to connect to sql server. Where do you look to find out the reason?

my starting point is to determine the point of failure:

1. Is the Network Up/am I having personal connectivity issues...

2. next, is the Server Up...

3. Next is the Service for SQL Up....

After I answered , I will look in the windows logs and try to trouleshoot,

they asked,

The server crashed. You cannot access anything. And you are given a new box, what will you do?

what is the first thing that is to be done?Can anyone give the big picture?

Thanks

SVR

1. start restoring user databases to the new server.

2. If the logins were previously scripted out for disaster recovery, restore the logins.

3. otherwise restore a copy of the old master as a userdatabase and start recreating/scripting the logins from there.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• "crashed" it took a nap. 🙂

For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following...
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

For better answers on performance questions, click on the following...
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

• Real crashed = you try to go on-site to bring it back up, but the fire department won't let you back in the building untill the fire is actually extinguished.

On the point of "you've been given a new box, where do you start?", it depends on what "new" means here too. Does it have Windows Server installed? Is it physically set up and connected? Is SQL Server installed and configured? Is it still in a boxes and needs to be assembled? There are degrees of "new" just like degrees of "crashed".

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Don't you just love the questions some people come up with for interviews?

• Chuck Hottle (7/22/2011)

Don't you just love the questions some people come up with for interviews?

Better than "you need to move a spoon, and the only tool you have is Mt Fuji, how much does your bathtub weigh?"

Property of The Thread

• From what I understood the box is not booting up!

• SVR (7/22/2011)

From what I understood the box is not booting up!

IMHO opinion all jokes aside I firmly believe that GSquared and Lowell gave you some good tips in what you should consider in answering this question.

When I initially saw your post I thought it looked more like homework than an interview question.

• Can you give me options to crash in software world, and I will let the fire department take care of the physical crashes.

• They did not give me any options. they asked like what is the first thing you will do after you got the new system?

Is it possible that windows could have been backed up and can be restored to the new server? Just wondering!

I was totally confused by the question being a newbie!

• SVR (7/22/2011)

Can you give me options to crash in software world, and I will let the fire department take care of the physical crashes.

Yes, don't ask any questions and call the fire department and tell them that you have a Class C Fire.

Just kidding as I assume that you were when you ask your question about the fire department.

• R u trying to help or mock ?!

• Appreciate your time and response!

• I do not know if the Windows can be restored to the new server since I'm not a system engineer. But if I get a new server, I will ask if the Windows is installed. If not, the company system engineer should be involved to install it since this is not DBA's responsibilities. After Windows is installed. I'll install SQL server with the same version as the one on the previous server. I'm assuming that the company does not use clustering for SQL server, otherwise, the other node should be up after one node fails. And then I'll restore all databases using full DB backup files plus their transaction log files.

--------------------------------------------------------------
    DBA or SQL Programmer? Who Knows. :unsure:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply