SQL server interview question!

• BCC-493036 (7/22/2011)

Welsh Corgi (7/22/2011)

If a Server Blue Screen or "Crashed" you are not going to get an Alert.

You are wrong. The alerts will be sent out from monitoring system.

In the event of a 3rd party monitoring solution. It also depends on it that monitoring solution is configured to check for heartbeat or connectivity issues.

Albeit, alerts from SQL Server would certainly not be sent out.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• That is correct but I disagree with your approach. You can purchase CA Unicenter but I'm not sure that it your best option.

The original Post States that they were told that the server crashed so I'm not sure how your comment has added value to this scenario.

For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following...
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

For better answers on performance questions, click on the following...
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

• Welsh Corgi (7/22/2011)

OK, you are correct assuming that you you have a monitoring system but you you still have to determine what the source of the problem is and the alert notification is not going to tell you that much.

But your approach in saying that you have to get with an MCSE or MCITP (SE) is a sure bet that you will not get the job.

Why don't you post all of the steps that you would take if you were asked that question?

PERIOD

--------------------------------------------------------------
    DBA or SQL Programmer? Who Knows. :unsure:

• The OP was already provided with the information that the Server "Crashed".

For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following...
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

For better answers on performance questions, click on the following...
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

• BCC-493036 (7/22/2011)

I do not know if the Windows can be restored to the new server since I'm not a system engineer. But if I get a new server, I will ask if the Windows is installed. If not, the company system engineer should be involved to install it since this is not DBA's responsibilities. After Windows is installed. I'll install SQL server with the same version as the one on the previous server. I'm assuming that the company does not use clustering for SQL server, otherwise, the other node should be up after one node fails. And then I'll restore all databases using full DB backup files plus their transaction log files.

You may not need to restore the databases, if you still have valid media from the old server.

If, for example, "crashed" means the local O/S drive died along with the motherboard in a freak power surge, it's still possible (even likely) that the data and log files are intact on a SAN. In that case, you don't need to recover from backups, just attach the new server to the SAN and go from there. You'll probably need to rebuild master, but the rest are probably just fine.

This question still leaves too many assumptions in place.

That is what I would give as my answer to a question like this in an interview. Make it clear that I understand there are different degrees of "crashed" and "new", and ask for clarification on both points. Most likely, that's what they're looking for. If you can ask intelligent questions about those points, it means you know enough to know that "my computer crashed" is (1) one of the most common tech support calls in the world, (b) totally inadequate for actual diagnosis, and (iii) frequently incorrect. I used to get "the Internet is down" as a regular tech support call. If it had been correct, that would have been a world-wide calamity of tremendous magnitude, but it never was. The interviewer probably wants to know that you are aware of those things.

Either that, or he's clueless, and looking for "I install and configure SQL Server and restore the databases from backups", because he read somewhere that that's what you have to do, and doesn't know there are a LOT of options other than that in many/most scenarios.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• BCC-493036 (7/22/2011)

Since SVR said "The server crashed. You cannot access anything". it means you could not log on to the server. That is possible. I agree to use disaster recovery first, but you need to be able to log on to the server and then you are able to do troubleshooting.

A good company has alerts system. When the DB server is down both SE and DBA will be notified. They need to work together and figure out the problems. Otherwise, why does the company hire SEs.

Or answer, "well, since I set up a clustering environment and tested it regularly, and the crashed server automatically failed over to the backup server, I get the new server up and running, and plug it into the cluster as the failover, keeping the prior failover online as the new primary, and nobody in the business ever notices that anything was down at all."

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Welsh Corgi (7/22/2011)

SVR (7/22/2011)

Can you give me options to crash in software world, and I will let the fire department take care of the physical crashes.

Yes, don't ask any questions and call the fire department and tell them that you have a Class C Fire.

Just kidding as I assume that you were when you ask your question about the fire department.

This is professional site joke not accepts here. Can you answer his question ? so answer in nice way. Otherwise backoff.

Khan

• Start rebuilding a new server and prepare to restore, hopefully the server setup was documented - that will make your life easier

• M.Kahn (7/26/2011)

Welsh Corgi (7/22/2011)

SVR (7/22/2011)

Can you give me options to crash in software world, and I will let the fire department take care of the physical crashes.

Yes, don't ask any questions and call the fire department and tell them that you have a Class C Fire.

Just kidding as I assume that you were when you ask your question about the fire department.

This is professional site joke not accepts here. Can you answer his question ? so answer in nice way. Otherwise backoff.

Khan

No Jokes at all?

• M.Kahn (7/26/2011)

Watch the attitude....

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • M.Kahn (7/26/2011)

Welsh Corgi (7/22/2011)

SVR (7/22/2011)

Khan

The question has been answered. And not all professionals are as hostile as you seem to think is necessary. Also, I'm pretty sure that you don't set the policies for posting on this site, because I know the guy who is responsible for that, and he would definitely have informed me if joking was forbidden (and I've have been banned about 10,000 posts ago).

Property of The Thread

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply