SQL Server Licencing

• I have had this discussion with Microsoft and my Cloud Serveice Provider and they have shattered my thoughts on Licencing

We had a SQl server with in my customers network with say 20 user/device cals

Then if I had 300 or so field operators who occasionly go on to the company website and login to see if they have any jobs

(Say using PHP/Appache or IIS server) to connect to SQL Server Microsoft wants us to have 300 Cals or Processor licence

Even is the 300 users use differnt login to log to the web site, but use the same login (say sa) to login to the SQL Server they are considered authenticated indirectley and hence must have user cals. I was under the impression that since only about 3 or 4 at maximum will be logged in at any one time 3 or 4 device cals would do. I have been told NO

If the 300 users are just getting general information from the website and SQL Server ( ie the information presented is immaterial of the user logged in) then it does not need the CALS. It is when it is directley or indirectley authenticated, this come in to play

I have no option here but to advice my customer to step down to SQL Express for the web site queries

My argument that if a factory full of workers swipe a card to clock in, which makes a entry in the SQL server needs only a single device cal. If I restrict the PHP app to run only maximum of 3 sessions I should be charged for only 3 devices does not hold

I would like others thought on this

• siva 20997 (3/1/2012)

Then if I had 300 or so field operators who occasionly go on to the company website and login to see if they have any jobs

(Say using PHP/Appache or IIS server) to connect to SQL Server Microsoft wants us to have 300 Cals or Processor licence

Yup, perfectly correct. You have 300 users, so you need 300 user CALs. The webserver is not a user. The person who logs on and checks their jobs is the user.

If the 300 users are just getting general information from the website and SQL Server ( ie the information presented is immaterial of the user logged in) then it does not need the CALS. It is when it is directley or indirectley authenticated, this come in to play

Its not about the authentication, it's about the users. 300 people using SQL Server (via an application server or directly) means 300 user CALs.

My argument that if a factory full of workers swipe a card to clock in, which makes a entry in the SQL server needs only a single device cal. If I restrict the PHP app to run only maximum of 3 sessions I should be charged for only 3 devices does not hold

For device CALs, iirc, there would have to be x physical devices only to get away with x device CALs, so if all 300 of those users use 3 physical devices (total, not simultaneous), then 3 device CALs is an option. If it's 300 users each using their own machine, then that is 300 users or 300 devices whichever you prefer.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but from my understanding, any SQL server which is accessed from the web needs to be done on a per processor basis.

• Only if you can't count the users (eg internet facing)

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Ah as in public internet facing.

So for an internal intranet with a company user base of 50 I could licence on a user cal/server method and not CPU.

Suppose it then falls into which is the cheaper option as there will be a trade off on the number of CAL's where its more cost effective to go socket based.

• What do you mean by Socket based. Are you thinking of developing a middle tier.

I thought of that. even then I have to pay for 300 users as each user is authenticated indirectley to get the information from SQL Database.

If the 300 users just look up price list then it does not need 300 cals. It is only because I am querying the SQL Database with the knowledge of who the user is. I had a long conversation on this with Microsoft and I am pretty sure about it

On a another point. I am thinking of replicating my SQl Server data to SQL Express so that the website can work off that. Is SQL Express disabled from receiving replication data. If so I will have to write that part

• I said at the start

My argument that if a factory full of workers swipe a card to clock in, which makes a entry in the SQL server needs only a single device cal.

However if a use my mobile phone to connect to the login device and 300 workers clock in that way (these methods are coming) then is would need 300 cals as it is 300 devices.

So for a Mobile app to connect we would require user cals

• siva 20997 (3/1/2012)

On a another point. I am thinking of replicating my SQl Server data to SQL Express so that the website can work off that.

I would check with MS Licensing before going that route. It's a blatant attempt to get around the licensing requirements so may be a problem.

Gail Shaw

• siva 20997 (3/1/2012)

I said at the start

My argument that if a factory full of workers swipe a card to clock in, which makes a entry in the SQL server needs only a single device cal.

Yes, because it is a single physical device that is being used. It's being used directly by the end users (so it's not a middle-tier server) and one person uses it at a time.

However if a use my mobile phone to connect to the login device and 300 workers clock in that way (these methods are coming) then is would need 300 cals as it is 300 devices.

300 mobile phones are 300 devices, so that's 300 device CALs or 300 user CALs.

Gail Shaw

• You are thinking Mobile phone as a device

I am thinking Mobile phone as a electonic Swipe card

• do these mobile phone/electronic swipe cards login to the database themselves?

or do they need to be swiped through a machine and that one machine connects to the database?

• These are new ideas in development.

If it connects directley via wireless network system then I think it would need cals

if it connects via bluetooth to a single device and then that device logs them in I would say it is a single cal

but others would disagree becasue I am loging from my mobile phone to the device and then the device is logging on to the SQL Server

If they agree single cal is enough for this then a IIS allowing multiple users will be a single cal too I think

I belive we can do this with RFID emitting cards too but I have not seen one as yet. So the extension of the argument is if you carry a RFID card for this purpose you need a cal but not if you carry a swipe card and go up to the machine and swipe it. funny that

• siva 20997 (3/1/2012)

You are thinking Mobile phone as a device

I am thinking Mobile phone as a electonic Swipe card

Incorrect leap of logic. The swipe card is not the device. The card reader is the device that is being used. So one CAL for SQL Server.

• GilaMonster (3/1/2012)

Only if you can't count the users (eg internet facing)

I'm not sure about this. My reading of the license docs, which are vague to be sure, is that anything external to your company, meaning users that you cannot count as part of your organization, requires per CPU licensing. You can use it if you don't want to, or can't, count users.

AFAIK, CALs are only an option internally for a company. Once you have a website or multiplexer, or application that accesses SQL Server, used by non-organization members, you have to use per CPU.

I suspect if you have a small number of partners, however, you could get away with CALs.

• Similarly Mobile phone is not the device. The bluetooth device which recoganises Mobile Phone's presence is the device

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply