SQL Server License cost

• Ninja's_RGR'us (10/14/2011)

When's the last time you walked into an office with less than 1 computer per user??? Or even 1 computer overall?

1 computer with SQL tools?

it is rare though can be useful if is a 24 hour operation with shiftworkers..

• Dev @ +91 973 913 6683 (10/14/2011)

if you had one machine in your office that had the sql tools and people shared the machine you could be okay.

The snippet below is from 2008 SQL Licensing Overview. It clarifies the User CAL as # of Physical Persons (As Ninja said). I was under impression that User here is SQL Login or Database User. I got confused because I know one tool which has licensing terms this way.

User CAL. A SQL Server User CAL is required in order for a user (employee, customer, partner, and so on) to access or use the services or functionality of Microsoft SQL Server.

Device CAL not User CAL

anyway best advice for licensing is to call you MS sales rep they are usually very helpful and have heard all the 'tricks' before

• steveb. (10/14/2011)

Ninja's_RGR'us (10/14/2011)

When's the last time you walked into an office with less than 1 computer per user??? Or even 1 computer overall?

1 computer with SQL tools?

it is rare though can be useful if is a 24 hour operation with shiftworkers..

I see where I misunderstood. In my case all users always need to connect to the ERP. So tools make no difference :-).

• Device CAL not User CAL

My bad... time for another cup of coffee :doze:

• Really appreciate for having more than required information on license cost.:-)

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply