SQL Server Licensing

• This may be a stupid question but here goes:

If you have inherited some servers running SQL 2000 and SQL 7 on NT and 2000 where can you find out if the server was set up to run in processor licensing mode or in the mode where CALs are needed. If it is using CALs whats the easiest way to determine the number of CALs?

Nigel Moore
    ======================

• covered under   serverproperty

SELECT  'LicenseType',

(CASE WHEN CONVERT(char(20), SERVERPROPERTY('LicenseType')) = 'PER_SEAT'

THEN 'Per Seat Mode'

WHEN CONVERT(char(20), SERVERPROPERTY('LicenseType')) = 'PER_PROCESSOR'

THEN 'Per Processor Mode'

ELSE 'Disabled'

END)

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

• What if

select SERVERPROPERTY('LicenseType')

returns "Disabled" - what does that mean?

-------------------------------Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden [/url]Smart way to ask a question
    There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand (the world). There is no such thing as a dumb question. ― Carl Sagan
    I would never join a club that would allow me as a member - Groucho Marx

• "Disabled" is supposed to mean that a licensing type wasn't chosen during installation, but SQL 2000 had a bug that was fixed in sp2.  And I don't think 'select SERVERPROPERTY' works in SQL 7 at all.

You could try looking at "SQL Server Licensing" icon in control panel of each server.

Greg

Greg

• I've never found the licensing has any physical effect on the server, it6's more for licensing server - if you're running that it might be relevent - mainly for audit purposes I think.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply