sql server log file

• i am intrested to know

what can i do with the sql server log file

i know it use for transactional backup

but i intrested to know can looking inside log file can give me a valuable information

is there a softwear to open the file

what can more i do with this file

• Toad for SQL Server (which you can get in a free beta at http://toadworld.com) has a great log reader feature.

-Kevin

• There are ways to read the log, however it's not intended to be human-readable, it's not there for you to play around with.

The transaction log is primarily for database integrity (it's how SQL satisfies the integrity and durability requirements of ACID). It's used when you roll transactions back. It's used for crash recovery. It can be backed up (in full/bulk-logged recovery) to allow point-in-time restores. It is not an audit tool.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • ApexSQL makes a log reader as well. As Gail mentioned, however, there isn't a lot of value for most people in looking at the log. It can help in DR situations, but you would have to be very careful and have practiced working with the file to extract information.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply