SQL Server Logs:: Starting up database '' ''

• Namasteji,

I have large database (50gb), which shows no problems anywhere except that it appears in the server logs thousands of times with the following entries (paired):

Analysis of database 'RE31409' (5) is 100% complete (approximately 0 more seconds)

Starting up database 'RE31409'.

The server has 7 user database and none of the others repeat these entries more than once during recycling.

Why is this happening and how do I resolve this?

Respectfully,

Aaron

• Thanks for the reply Steve,

The following options are set:

trunc. log on chkpt.

torn page detection

auto create statistics

auto update statistics

Is auto-close a kulprit to this kind of problem? 

Aaron

• Yes. Open Enterprise Manager, expand until you see the database, right click on the database, select Properties, go to the Options tab. You will see Auto Close there, make sure it is unchecked.

Auto Close means that the database should be placed offline everytime there isn't an active connection.

-SQLBill

• Definately, AutoClose is the reason.

The entries that you see are when the Offline database is brought online i.e. when the recovery is being performed on the database.

It would not cause any harm but recommended that you turn off the AutoClose feature.

• I am facing the same issue but definitely the AUTOCLOSE is not on. What could be the reason?

vkishwar

• Thanks a lot for the idea.

I've had the same problem and in this way i solved a client/server application that presents a SQL time out connection under various conditions ....

• Does the Auto-close property hurt the performance of my sql-server?

• lucas229 (8/12/2008)

Does the Auto-close property hurt the performance of my sql-server?

Depends how often the database in question is used. If it's used once a month, probably not, if it's used once a minute and closes between uses then definitely yes. It takes a few seconds to open a database, and the first query to that database has to wait while the database is brought online.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thank you Gail. I just turned off this option from my production Database. The system was working perfect until this morning when it started to act very sluggish. I looked at the sql error log and I saw a bunch entries 'Analysis of database [DBname] (7) is 100% complete'. I also saw that the DB was being started very frequently. So, I turned to the forums to see what I could find about this. That is when, I found out about the Auto-close option. Hopefully, this prevent the system to behave like this morning in the future.

Luis

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply