SQL Server Management Studio’s Dropdown box contains server list not exist

• I have installed new SQL Server 2008 R2, when i tried to conenct to the database engine from Mangement studio, i found many instance name not exist.Although i could clearn the list by delete the file SqlStudio.bin. But anybody could tell me why these are showed in the dorpdown list?

• smith.liu328 (9/17/2010)

I have installed new SQL Server 2008 R2, when i tried to conenct to the database engine from Mangement studio, i found many instance name not exist.Although i could clearn the list by delete the file SqlStudio.bin. But anybody could tell me why these are showed in the dorpdown list?

Hi

Smith

What U want to tell and what U want to ask? U r saying , Some istance r not exist, bt u ask why these r showed???

Ali
    MCTS SQL Server2k8

• Is that a default instance or named instance, Did you try explicitly typing the instance name and connecting to it.

Is this a express edition?

What does the error log say? Please check the services if it started. and also check the summary text if the installation went fine.

"More Green More Oxygen !! Plant a tree today"

• This has been solved, thanks guys

• I had a similar issue where a specific login i created for testing would show up first when i selected a server...so i'd have to change it over and over again.

the servers and login defaults are stored in your application data folder, so if you can find it, you can delete it:

%SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\

(For SQL Server 2008 should be 100 instead of 90)

2. Backup and then delete the 'Shell' folder. This folder will be rebuilt when you start SSMS. You will lose your connected server history, but you should retain recent files, etc.

For SQL 2005, delete the file:

C:\Documents and Settings\(UserLogin)\Application Data\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Shell\mru.dat

For SQL 2008, they changed the name of the file:

C:\Documents and Settings\(UserLogin)\Application Data\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Shell\SqlStudio.bin

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• smith.liu328 (9/19/2010)

This has been solved, thanks guys

Hi Smith

Please let us know what you done for the solution.

Please ...

Thanks

Ali
    MCTS SQL Server2k8

• Just like Lowell said, delete the file,all instance disappear.

I did not realized the file contains these instance name are related with user account, i thought these information are kept in registry.

• Hi

Smith

Ok I got it , Thanks

Ali
    MCTS SQL Server2k8

• Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply