SQL Server Management Studio 2005 Crashes

• I started experiencing problems with SQL Server Management Studio 2005 where each time I attempt to perform an operation such as opening a table or modifying a stored procedure the GUI becomes distorted and I can't use it. Often Management Studio freezes and I get a message saying, "Microsoft SQL Server is busy waiting for an internal operation to complete." Management Studio never unfreezes, and I eventually get a Window with the following message, "SQLWB - SQL Server Management Studio has encountered a problem and needs to close."

I uninstalled/reinstalled the client tools, but that did not fix the problem. It appears to me to be a graphics problem.

Would anyone know how to fix the problem?

• Do you have any errors in the event log?

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Jack,

I get this error in the event log upon running a simple select.

EventType clr20r3, P1 sqlwb.exe, P2 2005.90.1399.0, P3 434f6009, P4 system.drawing, P5 2.0.0.0, P6 471ebf30, P7 181, P8 20, P9 system.argumentexception, P10 NIL.

• What version of the client tools are you installing? Have you tried upgrading the client tools to SP3 to see if that helps?

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• I'm using SQL Server Management Studio version 9.00.1399.00.

• Patrick Womack (8/20/2009)

I'm using SQL Server Management Studio version 9.00.1399.00.

Like I said - try upgrading the client tools to SP3 and see if that helps. That would be 9.00.4035.00 for SQL Server 2005 SP3.

Jeffrey Williams

• I upgraded SQL Server Management Studio to sp3. The 'help' Window now shows version 9.00.4035.00.

The upgrade didn't fix the problem. I did another simple select query and Management Studio crashes. Here is the the error log:

EventType clr20r3, P1 sqlwb.exe, P2 2005.90.4035.0, P3 492b1606, P4 system.drawing, P5 2.0.0.0, P6 471ebf30, P7 181, P8 20, P9 system.argumentexception, P10 NIL.

• Darn - it was worth a shot, too bad it didn't help. The only other thing I can think of would be to see if you can upgrade the graphics drivers.

Jeffrey Williams

• do you have any info about the machine the client is installed on?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• How about checking out this thread at RedGate, it sounds similar, http://www.red-gate.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?p=28348

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• I updated the graphics driver and Management Studio still crashes with the same error.

EventType clr20r3, P1 sqlwb.exe, P2 2005.90.4035.0, P3 492b1606, P4 system.drawing, P5 2.0.0.0, P6 4889dec2, P7 184, P8 20, P9 system.argumentexception, P10 NIL.

• The client machine is a IBM ThinkPad running Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 2.

I upgraded the .NET Framework 2.0 to service pack 2, but Management Studio still crashes with this error.

EventType clr20r3, P1 sqlwb.exe, P2 2005.90.4035.0, P3 492b1606, P4 system.drawing, P5 2.0.0.0, P6 4889dec2, P7 184, P8 20, P9 system.argumentexception, P10 NIL.

• I tried the solution from the link you provided, but Management Studio still crashes upon performing a simple select query.

• Try perfroming a 'repair' on .NET 2.0 ...

We have found this to work in some instances.

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• Rudy,

Upon clicking the 'change' button for the .NET framework 2.0 SP2 in the 'Add or Remove Programs' a small Window with a progress bar appears. This Window remains open for approximately 30 second with no progress showing. Finally it closes on it's own.

I attempted to remove the framework, but I got a messagebox stating that I could not because other programs are dependent on the framework.

Any ideas?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply