SQL Server management tools

• We have about 50 MSSQL Servers to support (7.0 and 2000).

Can anybody recommend a good tool/software to be able to handle all aspects of the management of servers and databases?

Thanks in advance

• Why would you require a third party tool?

Whats wrong with Enterprise Manager? You can manage your SQL 7.0 Servers with the SQL 2000 tools (EM, QA etc).

Believe me the 3rd party tools do NO better job than EM!

Kindest Regards,

• IMO Enterprise Manager would be to tedious to manage that many servers.  It could be used to investigate problems, but for overall monitoring I wouldn't rely on just that.

There are a few options.  I believe one is a tool called SQL Monitor.  I do not have the financial support to buy a tool so I haven't looked into them too much. 

I do have one workstation (nicknamed "What's Up Jeff" by the network guys) that monitors my databases through the Task Scheduler and a bunch of batch scripts (w/ osql) that hit all my servers across the enterprise.  This is kind of nice because I have metrics loaded into a database and I can perform trending analysis with it.  Historical information is saved.   What I monitor with this is filegrowth, Physical disk space, SQL Server Agent job failures, transaction log size (usage), blocks and locks, Database availability, Server availability, some of them fragmentation, table growth (gotta love sysindexes), etc.   I am notified when something is wrong and sometimes if the potential for something bad (like a huge filegrowth on a busy system) to happen.

"Keep Your Stick On the Ice" ..Red Green

• Take a look at NetIQ [ http://www.netiq.com ] & their Sql Server Management suite. Regards j.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply