SQL Server on a Virtual server

• Please help me out; I am still new with virtual servers . If you were to load the data , logfiles and Tempdb on their own set of disks , i.e. the disk partitionsa re all on the sam SAN , will there be any improvement on performance ? If not, why does the Micorosoft Best Practice Analyser bombards one with this configuration ?

• lianvh (9/11/2012)

Please help me out; I am still new with virtual servers . If you were to load the data , logfiles and Tempdb on their own set of disks , i.e. the disk partitionsa re all on the sam SAN , will there be any improvement on performance ? If not, why does the Micorosoft Best Practice Analyser bombards one with this configuration ?

Loading everything on different disks can help. It can also be a useless exercise in frustration if all those disks are located on the same SAN and use the same disk controller.

SANs are complicated things. It depends on how many disk controllers they have, how many disks they have, how the partitions are laid out, etc. The one thing to remember about the MS Best Practices is they can't foresee every last scenario and just because a thing is recommended doesn't mean you should take their word without testing and ensuring that best practice works for your environment.

That doesn't mean their suggestions should be ignored, however. They've been doing this a long time and have a lot of data to back up their recommendations.

Talk to your SAN vendor or your SAN administrator. Also, Google this issue because there are a lot of articles out there about setting up SQL Server on a SAN and what parts of a SAN make a difference in the setup.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• You may find this link useful.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply