SQL Server on Windows 2003 SP2

• If you've had problems recently, and you're running Windows 2003 SP 2, you need to check out the following links:

Microsoft Support about SP2 and TCP Chimney

KB Alertz about 2003 SP2 and TCP Chimney

Basically the same article, slightly different info in each. Apparently this is a MAJOR deal.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• To add to this here was my experience with TOE. So, I was in the middle of a consolidation project to consolidate a database in one city into a database in another city. Everything with the migrate went fine. apps tested etc. data consolidated. great or so I thought.. Well, the user in City A were complaining about getting dropped connections to the new database location. Although it wasn't apparent that was what is happening. After taking some profile traces, I saw were the connections were being closed. Long story short the connections were being dropped only when the server was running on one specific node in the cluster... After much research I came across the TOE setting which seems to mainly affect broadcom cards and lo and behold this one server in the cluster did not have the TOE disabled which was our normal policy to put in place only it was not set on this one server. Implemented the change and viola worked like a champ. So moral of the story.. check for this setting when you come across any really hard unexplainable issues. We had everyone pointing fingers app team -->database team--> network team --> back to the app team and so on. It took about three weeks to stumble upon the solution so keep this link in your bag of tricks and knowledge as it will come in handy.

Mike McNeer

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply