SQL Server Performance Monitor Counters dissapeared from Performance Monitor

• Yesterday I was monitoring the 'buffer catche hit ratio' on my production server before a reboot on my local machine.  Today when I set up my performance monitor on my desktop to monitor about 5 or 6 things, I find that all of the sql server monitor topics are no longer showing in the performance objects list.

I am an administrator on the sql server, both locally and through windows.  I logged in with a different admin account to the machine and get the same result. I had another administrator try with the same results, both on the local desktop and on the local server.

No security settings have been changed by anyone.  I am runing sp3 on the machine, and it is a windows 2000 machine.

This worked yesterday and the previous weeks before, and now no dice.

Does anyone have a clue as to what is happening?

Thanks,

John

• It's known to happen. You may want to try this to get them back:
    1. At the command prompt, type in the following: unlodctr.exe MSSQLServer
    2. Then type in the following: lodctr.exe <SQL Server path>\binn\sqlctr.ini
    3. Reboot the server

• Try evaluating SpotLight on SQL server ( Quest soft ) as a sophisticated graphical tool or try MOM ( very complicated ).

Just a thought...

GKramer

• There are a number of KB articles about the missing perfmon counters - it's a real pain, especially on a cluster, as the counters may just not be there.

There will be a message in the sql error log to tell you they have failed - shared memory or something.

Note that the missing counters stop all the monitoring tools working too!

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply