SQL Server Processes

• Hi,

What is the step by step process, once SQL Server is up and running? For example, what are the processes that are running once SQL Server is started.

thanks,

🙂

• You can check the log file for getting the process details. As per my knwledge it is store somewhere in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80 or 90\bin....

• Renu, good question..:)

rinu, since how long you are using Sql server?

--

• I'm not sure I understand your question. Processes within SQL, processes visible to the OS, something else entirely?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • gail,

we can also get the idea from the service manager

(Control Panel-->administrative tool), if i am not wrong.......

Cheers!

Sandy.

--

• Sandy (7/20/2008)

Renu, good question..:)

rinu, since how long you are using Sql server?

Hi Sandy, am using for about 1.5 years:) why??

• Sandy (7/20/2008)

gail,

we can also get the idea from the service manager

(Control Panel-->administrative tool), if i am not wrong.......

Cheers!

Sandy.

Gail/Sandy,

I actually wanted to know what are the different processes that are involved while any sql server instance is started. I just had a question that came to my mind as how sql server works??:)

hope its not a silly question:)

• You can read through the error log to get a high-level overview. The details are quite complex. I saw a section in a book I read recently and the description of exactly what hapened when ran to over three pages.

If you're interested, the book was "Practcal troubleshooting: The database Engine", edited by Ken Henderson.

I don't have the book handy, so I can't give you the chapter and page. Will do tonight, if I remember.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (7/21/2008)

You can read through the error log to get a high-level overview. The details are quite complex. I saw a section in a book I read recently and the description of exactly what hapened when ran to over three pages.

If you're interested, the book was "Practcal troubleshooting: The database Engine", edited by Ken Henderson.

I don't have the book handy, so I can't give you the chapter and page. Will do tonight, if I remember.

Oh thanks alot..that would be great!!:)

• Rinu,

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Sandy, am using for about 1.5 years why??

I think you may have gone through this concepts in the beginning of your career, then why are you asking again, 2nd thing you can also refers sql some books where the details are discussed..as gail are already mentioned.

just go through concepts, you will get to know.

Cheers!

Sandy.

--

• Sandy (7/21/2008)

Rinu,

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Sandy, am using for about 1.5 years why??

I think you may have gone through this concepts in the beginning of your career, then why are you asking again, 2nd thing you can also refers sql some books where the details are discussed..as gail are already mentioned.

just go through concepts, you will get to know.

Cheers!

Sandy.

hmm..thought I got get some good answers from the experts here thats way thought of asking..anyway think I need to refer some books 😉

• rinu,

good idea..:)

Cheers!

Sandy.

--

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply