Sql server restarted or fail overed??

• Hi Guys,

How can we conclude it was a "restart or failover" tat happend in sqlserver?Is there any alert mechanism that says "it was a restart or a failover"?

Thanks,

Mithra.

• Are we talking about a cluster server here? You can look at the Windows event log and see whether any particular start of SQL Server occurred on the same node as the previous one.

John

• Hi John,

Thanks for your reply.Here i have only instance level access,So is it possible for me to get the info some sql logs ,wheater the node was restarted or just the instance was fail overed?

Regards,

Mithra.

• Mithra

Soon after SQL Server starts, there is a message in the errorlog something like "The NETBIOS name of the local node that is running the server is 'NODE1'. This is an informational message only. No user action is required." You can compare that to the similar message from the previous time it started.

John

• Did you have a look at the sqlserver Errorlog files ?

You can use SSMS to do so or import them and query on using sp_sys.sp_readerrorlog

If you are defining "failover" as a non-clean sqlserver shutdown, you may want to look at the end of the previous errorlog file. If you cannot find "shutdown because of system request" then it's bingo.

You should also check the cluster log files ( if you have access )

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• John,ALZDBA,

Thanks a lot for your help.I got it now.

Mithra.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply