Sql Server risks changing the Local System account by a Service Account

• Hi guys,

I have a sql server instance (is the only one in the server) which is currently working with the local system account, according with best practices it's necessary to use a Service Account, i want to know what's the risk if i change the old account (local service account).

Thanks guys and see you soon.

• some of it depends upon the nature of the application running on it (it is using some CLR code that does external access?). Other than that it should be a non-issue just make sure the new account you use has permissions to access the SQL server folders on C: drive and wherever the database, logs and backup files are.

The account should also have the rights to lock pages in memory and logon as a service.

The probability of survival is inversely proportional to the angle of arrival.

• If you use the Configuration Manager, it should assign all rights SQL Server needs to the account. If you've moved anything, or you use non-standard folders for things like backup, potentially those rights need to be reset, but otherwise you should be OK changing the account.

allow for a couple restarts in your maintenance period, in case you need to change the account back.

• excellent point, Steve I completely forgot about the convenience of using the configuration manager.

The probability of survival is inversely proportional to the angle of arrival.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (1/23/2012)

If you use the Configuration Manager, it should assign all rights SQL Server needs to the account. If you've moved anything, or you use non-standard folders for things like backup, potentially those rights need to be reset, but otherwise you should be OK changing the account.

allow for a couple restarts in your maintenance period, in case you need to change the account back.

Thank you so much both 🙂

• sturner (1/23/2012)

some of it depends upon the nature of the application running on it (it is using some CLR code that does external access?). Other than that it should be a non-issue just make sure the new account you use has permissions to access the SQL server folders on C: drive and wherever the database, logs and backup files are.

The account should also have the rights to lock pages in memory and logon as a service.

Thanks sir 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply