SQL Server Service Logon Account

• When installing sql server, what do you specify as the service logon account?

a) The Local System Account

b) other

Is one preferred over the other under certain circumstances?

Thanks in advance,

Billy

• I am a newbie, but based on what I know the following seems to be true.

Short Answer. If your SQL Server does not need access to other machines (to store backups, to get/put data for DTS packages, execute remote procedures), then the local system account is fine.

Otherwise you should establish a domain\user logon, to be used exclusively by SQL Server and its SQL Server Agent.  This "system" login can be assigned the permissions needed on each server to which communication need to be accomplished.

Be careful, this "system" account needs to never have its password expire.  Needs to be able to execute commands, etc.

I think BOL may have more information on this topic than I am providing.

HTS

Gary

• To follow up on Gary's comment, go to the Index tab of SQL BOL and type in "accounts, services accounts" in the search field.  Then choose the article entitled "Setting Up Windows Service Accounts" - there are other BOL articles you'll want to read, and it's a good topic to Google, but that article will map out the basics for you.

Cheers,

Chris

• I would not use a local system account as service logon account, because every time I change the password for the local system account account, the sql server service will be turn off.

Even if I choose not to use a domain user account, I would prefer to create a special account for the sql server service

• Um, I don't think the local system account's password is accessible, or changeable, by mere mortals.  Are you talking about the local Administrator account?

Cheers,

Chris

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply