SQL Server Service stopped and won't start

• I've installed SQL Server 2012 on the same machine as my SQL Server 2008 default instance, and it's named SQLSERVER2012.

Install went fine; chose default settings for everything possible, and installed every single possible feature.

SQL Server 2008 Service is running fine, but SQSERVER2012 service isn't.

I have tried to start the service using each of the available built in logon accounts (Local Service, Network Service, Local System) and also Admin account, but after clicking start I see SQL Server Configuration manager progress bar moving all the way to the right and just before completing failing with error message:

"The request failed or the service did not respond in a timely fashion, Consult the event log or other applicable logs". I did consult the SQL Server Log -- no entries. I also went to Windows Event Log/Event Viewer/Windows Logs/Application and it shows an error occurred in the last hour but no Event ID and no Application listed."

Will someone advise with next steps? I still have DVD for reinstalling evaluation version of SQL Server 2012 and worse comes to worse, I can uninstall and reinstall it.

--Quote me

• Did you try some suggestions from this LINK

M&M

• You said that there were no entries in the errorlog. Does this mean that it was empty?

Make sure that you are not looking in the errorlog for the default instance. Assuming a default instance, you should look in

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.SQLSERVER2012\MSSQL\Log

Are there any files called ERRORLOG, ERRORLOG.1 etc there? In such case, what's in them?

[font="Times New Roman"]Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, www.sommarskog.se[/font]

• Thanks Erland.

I just went to path C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.SQLSERVER2012\MSSQL and there is no Log folder there, the way there is for my default instance.

Here's the error that returns in the dialogue box when I try to connect to SQLSERVER2012;

===================================

Cannot connect to HELEN-PC\SQLSERVER2012.

===================================

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified) (.Net SqlClient Data Provider)

------------------------------

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft%20SQL%20Server&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=-1&LinkId=20476

Error Number: -1

Severity: 20

State: 0

Program Location:

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection, Action`1 wrapCloseInAction)

at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean callerHasConnectionLock, Boolean asyncClose)

at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Connect(ServerInfo serverInfo, SqlInternalConnectionTds connHandler, Boolean ignoreSniOpenTimeout, Int64 timerExpire, Boolean encrypt, Boolean trustServerCert, Boolean integratedSecurity, Boolean withFailover)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.AttemptOneLogin(ServerInfo serverInfo, String newPassword, SecureString newSecurePassword, Boolean ignoreSniOpenTimeout, TimeoutTimer timeout, Boolean withFailover)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.LoginNoFailover(ServerInfo serverInfo, String newPassword, SecureString newSecurePassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, SqlCredential credential, TimeoutTimer timeout)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.OpenLoginEnlist(TimeoutTimer timeout, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, SqlCredential credential, String newPassword, SecureString newSecurePassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(DbConnectionPoolIdentity identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, SqlCredential credential, Object providerInfo, String newPassword, SecureString newSecurePassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance, SqlConnectionString userConnectionOptions)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, DbConnectionPoolKey poolKey, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionOptions userOptions)

at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreateNonPooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPoolGroup poolGroup, DbConnectionOptions userOptions)

at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.TryGetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions, DbConnectionInternal& connection)

at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.TryOpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.TryOpen(TaskCompletionSource`1 retry)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open()

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlStudio.Explorer.ObjectExplorerService.ValidateConnection(UIConnectionInfo ci, IServerType server)

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.ConnectionDlg.Connector.ConnectionThreadUser()

--Quote me

• polkadot (8/18/2013)

Thanks Erland.

I just went to path C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.SQLSERVER2012\MSSQL and there is no Log folder there, the way there is for my default instance.

So what folders do you have in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.SQLSERVER2012\MSSQL? If there is no LOG folder, something seems to be broken. (Unless you changed the default directories at some point.)

[font="Times New Roman"]Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, www.sommarskog.se[/font]

• Only the BIN and Install folders are there.

When I follow the path to the place in the registry that should contain information about the location of my Log, Backup, and Data files, nothing regarding those folders is listed there either.

For SQLServer 2008 instance all this info is found in registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQLServer....next to BackupDirectory, defaultLog, defaultData.

Uninstall/reinstall?

--Quote me

• Your installation appears indeed to be broken. I would try the repair option in the Installation Center.

• Repair also encountered errors so I uninstalled 2012 and tried reinstall from media (DVD) I used to burn 2012 iso image.

I am encountering an error during install....and have created a new post. http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Forum2799-1.aspx?Update=1

I hope you can look at it for your insight. I remember now, getting this same error, first time I installed, but I just busted past it hoping it wasn't too big of deal.

Error is a show stopper but no info on internet.

--Quote me

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply