Sql server stopped - tempdb

• yes, the both, don't want start. :S

• sry i just find another directory mssql on the other partition, and his errorlog mention this

2008-08-01 18:24:44.01 server Server Process ID is 6876.

2008-08-01 18:24:44.01 server Logging SQL Server messages in file 'D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\LOG\ERRORLOG'.

2008-08-01 18:24:44.02 server SQL Server is starting at priority class 'normal'(2 CPUs detected).

2008-08-01 18:24:44.05 server SQL Server configured for thread mode processing.

2008-08-01 18:24:44.05 server Using dynamic lock allocation. [500] Lock Blocks, [1000] Lock Owner Blocks.

2008-08-01 18:24:44.09 spid2 Starting up database 'master'.

2008-08-01 18:24:44.27 server Using 'SSNETLIB.DLL' version '8.0.2039'.

2008-08-01 18:24:44.27 spid5 Starting up database 'model'.

2008-08-01 18:24:44.29 spid2 Server name is 'myserver'.

2008-08-01 18:24:44.29 spid8 Starting up database 'msdb'.

2008-08-01 18:24:44.29 spid9 Starting up database 'FSMSE_Quarantine'.

2008-08-01 18:24:44.30 spid5 Bypassing recovery for database 'model' because it is marked IN LOAD.

2008-08-01 18:24:44.30 spid5 Database 'model' cannot be opened. It is in the middle of a restore.

i have also in the folder data of this mssql folder, the files of master database, and :

files of model databse with model$4IDR et modellog$4IDR.

Do you think that i can try to move them too?

thx for your help

• It didn't on the other one, so probably not.

I'm going to see if I can get some expert opinions on this. I don't actually know how to fix this and I'm just about out of suggestions.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Have a look at this, see if it helps you at all

http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive/2008/07/11/cannot-access-company-web-after-installing-948110.aspx

Something else for you to try. I hope you're comfortable with command line tools

Open two command prompts on the server. In one, navigate to where the SQL binaries are. (will try the 2005 version first) Dir should be something like: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Binn

Run sqlservr.exe -f

Lots of info will scroll past. Wait a few secs, then go to the other cmd window and run

sqlcmd -S BWSRV\BKUPEXEC -E

It should connect to SQL and give you a prompt like 1<

Type the following:

RESTORE DATABASE model WITH RECOVERY

GO

and press enter. If it gives an error, please copy the entire error message. If it does not give an error message, type

RESTORE DATABASE msdb WITH RECOVERY

GO

and press enter.

You can then type exit to close sqlcmd. Go to the other cmd window and press Ctrl-C to terminate the instance of SQL you have running. It will ask for confirmation, say yes, then see if you can start the BWSRV\BKUPEXEC SQL instance

Do you by any chance have backups of the system databases? (master, model and msdb)

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • For the backup, i use backup exec, so it will be difficult to recup them without backup exec 🙁 . I will try your solution tomorrow.

To resume, in order, may be, to give you some precious informations :

About the KB948110, i wanted to follow instructions provided on this web site because i had the problem with sharepoint.

So i have done the first one instruction which advised to rename the folder bin of sharepoint. But there was no effect, sharepoint was not repaired, just the Windows update proposed for a new time to install this KB.

So i follow the new instructions proposed in the website that you have mentionned. But to make the first step which was the upgrade, i didn't have the CD premium, so i run to desinstall and install sharepoint, and only reinstall sbsmonitoring which had some problem to display reports, and i reboot. -> sbsmonitoring was again in a wrong way, and sql server and wsus were no running.

So i desinstall and install properly sbsmonitoring and reboot. After, I have done the instructions that you give me and now i can see that sbsmonitoring run correctly.

So Sharepoint and sbsmonitoring are now alive :), but not sql server instance and wsus.

I'm sorry but i have to leave many weeks. so I will try your solution tomorrow before i leaving.

I already Thank you again for your help, and the time you past on my case.

• Hi,

Sry for my absence. I hope that you could help me again, because my problem with sql server is always present.

So, i meet some errors when i tried your solution.

In the first prompt, the command "sqlservr.exe -f" give me the following error in a pop up:

"Your SQL Server installation is either corrupt or has been tampered with (SQL Registry Version Not Same As Server). Please unsinstall then re-run setup to correct this problem"

And on the second prompt, the following error : "HResult 0x2, level 16, etat 1

provider channels appointed: impossible to open a connection to SQL server [2].

sqlcmd: error: Microsoft SQL Native Client : an error occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL server 2005, this echec may be because the default SQL Server do not allow remote connection.

sqlcmd : error : Microsoft SQL Native Client : waiting period expired connection."

Thank you again for your help.

• Hello

Did you ever find solution to this problem.. we have the same..... catch 22 is that the model is in a 'restoring state' and sQL server needs the model database in order to create a working tempdb. We can run 'cmd' commands to get access to the sql server via MS Studio; however, can not change the model database state. I believe the state may be maintained in the master database but I am not sure if this is true. If it is, is there a way to change the state information to trick SQL Server 2005 into thinking that the model database is no longer being restored?

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply