SQL Server Tools

• Would a typical SQL Server DBA or database developer ever be willing to buy a coherent and comprehensive package of advanced T-SQL routines?

There seems to be quite a bit of excitement and discussion with regard to short/simple T-SQL scripts. SQL Server web sites solicit short/simple T-SQL scripts and publish them for all to download. The advantage of such scripts is that they are free. The disadvantage is that they are often very narrow in scope and they are written with very different styles (they are written by many different authors).

There is no shortage of SQL Server tools that put a GUI on certain common tasks (such as database schema comparison). We are apparently buying those tools in sufficient quantities to support several companies. There are a number of other tasks that I, as a SQL Server DBA and database developer, do for which I do not have a GUI tool. Maybe GUI tools are not appropriate for the tasks, the tools do not exist, or the tools cost an exorbitant amount.

There are commercial packages of source code in other software development contexts, but there does not seem to be any established market for T-SQL source code. Why not? Are SQL Server folks choosing to "roll their own" when it comes to T-SQL scripts? If so, then who are the people that eagerly request and download short/simple T-SQL scripts? Are SQL Server folks so short of funding that they can not afford to buy T-SQL tools? If so, then who are the people that buy tools costing about $3,000 per user (from Princeton Softech)?

Brian

Creator of SQLFacts, a free suite of tools for SQL Server database professionals.

• My vote would be...

Nope.

You can get a lot of decent stuff for free off the internet anyway.

• For further discussion follow this link...

http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28429

Creator of SQLFacts, a free suite of tools for SQL Server database professionals.

• I think DBA's like coding their own, in part because we learn from doing so and in part because we want to know what's going on. I use black box code like the maintenance plans, but I'd much rather be able to look at the code and adjust if I needed to.

Budgets are tight, but the money is there if you really need something. Really being the defining criteria. For small problems I'd rather invest my time.

Dont know if that helps.

Andy

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

• I agree with Andy. Only exceptional tool may be Log Explorer.

Since the log file format is not disclosed by Microsoft, and If there is a crash between backups, and if there is no way of retreiving the data Log Explorer may be the solution.

I far as I know, other tools could be developped with the information available and I prefer that.

One Question: Why Microsoft is so stingy in exploring the log format.

G.R. Preethiviraj Kulasingham

Chief Technology Officer.

Softlogic Information Systems Limited,

14 De Fonseka Place,

Colombo 05.

Sri Lanka.

Cheers,
    Prithiviraj Kulasingham

http://preethiviraj.blogspot.com/

• Hi Brian,

quote:

Would a typical SQL Server DBA or database developer ever be willing to buy a coherent and comprehensive package of advanced T-SQL routines?

There seems to be quite a bit of excitement and discussion with regard to short/simple T-SQL scripts. SQL Server web sites solicit short/simple T-SQL scripts and publish them for all to download. The advantage of such scripts is that they are free. The disadvantage is that they are often very narrow in scope and they are written with very different styles (they are written by many different authors).

There is no shortage of SQL Server tools that put a GUI on certain common tasks (such as database schema comparison). We are apparently buying those tools in sufficient quantities to support several companies. There are a number of other tasks that I, as a SQL Server DBA and database developer, do for which I do not have a GUI tool. Maybe GUI tools are not appropriate for the tasks, the tools do not exist, or the tools cost an exorbitant amount.

There are commercial packages of source code in other software development contexts, but there does not seem to be any established market for T-SQL source code. Why not? Are SQL Server folks choosing to "roll their own" when it comes to T-SQL scripts? If so, then who are the people that eagerly request and download short/simple T-SQL scripts? Are SQL Server folks so short of funding that they can not afford to buy T-SQL tools? If so, then who are the people that buy tools costing about $3,000 per user (from Princeton Softech)?

I have followed both discussions.

Here are my 2 cents.

This is a 'depends on' situation. You must carefully consider pros and cons.

And if you think the benefits will outweight the cost, you should buy it.

If you don't think so, try to make it on your own.

So far with theory.

I've made the experience that sometimes it is much easier to get 100,000$ to spent on obscure projects, software...than to get 3,000$ for something really useful

Cheers,

Frank

--
    Frank Kalis
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    Webmaster: http://www.insidesql.org/blogs
    My blog: http://www.insidesql.org/blogs/frankkalis/[/url]

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply