sql server truncates leading 0's for an integer column

• I know for a integer column(say ID) sql server truncates any leading 0's

but i have a particular scenario i need to convert integer column(ID) into varchar and use this column in where clause

Ex:

select cast (c.ID as varchar(7))

from

Masada c with (nolock),

Puma r with (nolock)

where

cast(c.ID as varchar(7)) =r.ID

Let's say i am trying to input a record ID = 0123 in Masada table, ID(which is an int datatype) is being truncated to 123. So when i cast to varchar(7) it will be stored as 123

In Puma table, ID(varchar) is stored as 0123(as the datatype is varchar)....

I am not seeing the expected results because of this truncation issue...

How do i solve my issue

FYI: ID in Masada table is int, ID in Puma table is varchar

Thanks

• Pad it with leading zeroes and use the Right() function.

select Right('00000' + cast(1 as varchar(5)), 5);

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Any other suggestions?? Padding took lot of resources(It took almost 2 sec to execute the query)

• I wouldn't expect padding to add two seconds unless millions of rows were involved.

Could you possibly publish the actual code you are running, the schema of the tables, and the volumes involved?

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Here is the query

select c.ID

from

Masada c with (nolock),

Puma r with (nolock)

where right('000000' + cast(c.ID as varchar(7)),7) =r.ID

Masada table has around 2 million records

• sandyinfowave (7/11/2011)

Here is the query

select c.ID

from

Masada c with (nolock),

Puma r with (nolock)

where right('000000' + cast(c.ID as varchar(7)),7) =r.ID

Masada table has around 2 million records

Try this:

select *

from Masada c

join Puma r on r.ID = c.ID

If you have values in "Puma" which are not integers this will throw an error, but there are ways around it.

If all your Puma IDs will translate to integers, regardless of leading zeroes, there should be no problem.

Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Yes, i have values in Puma which are not integers(that's why i am casting my ID in Masada table to varchar)....

but there are ways around it

How do i work around it???

• Define a CTE for the PUMA table which eliminates rows containing any characters other than 0-9. Then join to that CTE as shown below. In the example, I just used ISNUMERIC(), but that needs to be improved upon. I just wanted to get you the answer quickly so you could see the concept.

declare @Masada table (ID int primary key)

declare @puma table (ID varchar(10) primary key)

insert into @puma

values('0123'),('0155'),('0003'),('0543')

insert into @Masada

select * from @puma

insert into @puma

values('X123')

;with Puma2 as (select * from @puma where isnumeric(ID) = 1) -- this could be enhanced

select c.id as MasadaID,r.ID as PumaID

from @Masada c

join Puma2 r on r.ID = c.ID

• Yes, i have values in Puma which are not integers(that's why i am casting my ID in Masada table to varchar)....

Although I feel certain this comes too late, I feel compelled to point out that this is poor database design.

You are already encountering problems with it (the one we are dealing with now.)

• Yeah exactly,have to deal with it.....Anyways thanks for u'r help

• Using functions, especially string functions, in the Where clause, will almost always make a query slower. Frequently, much slower. However, when it's the only way you have to get the data you need, slow is better than not at all.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply