SQL Server v4.2 create database syntax error

• One thing that has come to mind is (and it may have been the OS2 version) you had to reboot it every 6 weeks or so because something would overflow and take SQL Server down. It had something to do with timestamp or something. We used to schedule a monthly shutdown to avoid the issue.

I also wrote a vb3 app that would ping the db and then use a modem to call my alphanumeric pager to show the server was down....

• v4.2 was on OS2/Warp - Daily to weekly reboots

v4.21 was on NT 3.5 - Weekly restarts for SQL, Monthly reboots for Windows

v4.21a was on NT 3.51 - Weekly restarts for SQL, Monthly reboots for Windows

Not as old as dirt now am I ...

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• Hi Ed,

My colleague indeed still has a manual for SQL 4.2. The paeg on CREATE DATABASE is attached.

Regards,

Jan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• I have located a v4.21 installation CD and attached the I386 directory in a zip file. It should have everything you need. Have fun !!!

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• First, I cannot thank you all enough for your help. Wow. You've been great!

The create database that finally worked was...

CREATE DATABASE epic_names

ON DEFAULT = 20480

It didn't give me all the space I wanted, but enough so it was useful. I could have done the init_dev thing, but what I'm doing is a one-time shot and this was Good Enough.

Other things that were driving me crazy that either you expressly addressed or pointed me towards a solution...

Because of very tight space constraints (or so I thought), I'm running the mass update (about 130,000) from inside a proc that has a counter to bunch updates in groups of 100. I could declare a local variable fine, but using a SET to initialize it and increment it, such as...

DECLARE @counter INT

SET @counter = @counter + 1

...just didn't work. The answer is, you use a select...

DECLARE @counter INT

SELECT @counter = @counter + 1

omg that's intuitive! (An example of both sarcasm AND irony).

Also, there are no parens around PROC arguments.

And I still keep trying to end lines with a semicolon. Drives me nutz.

Whew! An education I'm not sure I wanted .

There is another problem that has arisen out all this, but I'll probably make that another thread. Thanks again.

- Ed Lipchus

• physname

- ejl

• Yep. we reboot it once a month. Have it scheduled with our operations staff. Otherwise it's head gets filled with Stuff. Too bad WinNT (what this app is running on) doesn't have a Penseive like Dumbledore has.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply