SQL service pack 3 Rollup how to find?

• Hi  all,

According Kowledge base article  813494

FIX: Distribution Agent Fails with "Violation of Primary Key Constraint" Error Message

i have to apply  sp 2  running version 8.00.0733 or Service Pack 3 rollup, version 8.00.0765.

I was looking for this build ver and could not find anything.  I only see sp3 a the latest.

Version:

how can i find  the sp2 version the MS talks about?

thanks

chami

• Why are you even worrying about this?  You really need to upgrade to Service Pack 3a on ALL of your SQL Server yesterday.  It's a HUGE risk to your company to not do so immediately several months ago. 

Derrick Leggett
    Mean Old DBA
    When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.

• Hi Derrick,

I joined recently so now I have to do it. This paticular issue in KB article  refers to certain version no's  but sp3a does not have that but its higher.  In article it tells  Service Pack 3 rollup, version 8.00.0765. To solve this particular issue as its  a production dbase I wanted to install that pack but could not fine anything over ms web to download. I know its good to apply sp3a .

As it is my pproduction server can you tell me what precautionary test i need to do  before is anything to break ? Any steps to create temp swing server and backup db's.

Thanks

chami

• Hi derrick,

I am in a process of applying  a sql sp3a do you have any bad experience or situations that you had to remove it ?

Do you have any kind of documentation done (change management form fillup ,procedural documentation)  towards it?

Thanks

chaem

• I've put SQL Server 2000 SP3a on 75+ servers over the past year plus.  Plain SQL Servers with nothing else on them, application servers with all sorts of software installed on them...  Not one problem yet.  Of course, now that I said that, Murphy's Law may start applying here.

Every company does there Change Management a little differently.  Our change management system is very informal.  The change management line that I used last was "installing SQL Server 2000 SP3a on ServerX, ServerY, ServerZ to minimize the risk of software exploits."  Viola... approved!

-Jon

• I haven't had any problems either installing it.  We went through our standard change control process.  We research it, apply it to the development servers, test the applications for a week, then apply them to production.  We applied to over 27 servers.  We now automatically install it on any new servers. 

Of course, like Jon said, there's always Murphy's Law. 

Derrick Leggett
    Mean Old DBA
    When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply