SQL Statement

• Could someone please help since I'm in dark now.  I have a query result like this:

Item       Day        Inhand          Demand        EndingBal         Ind

A             0               50                    0                     50                  1

A             1               20                    0                     0                     2  

A             2                0                     0                     0                     3

B             0               10                    0                     10                   4

B             1               10                    0                     0                     5

B             2                0                      0                    0                     6

I want to calculate the endingbal:

EndingBal = EndingBal+Inhand-Demand

I write a statement like this:

SELECT item,day, demand,

isnull((select sum(Endingbal)    

from mytable a where a.item=b.item

and a.idx<b.idx),0)+isnull(inhand,0)-isnull((select sum(demand)        

and a.idx<=b.idx ),0) as EndBal, idx

FROM mytable b

The above statement gave me this:

A             0               50                    0                     50                  1

A             1               20                    0                     70                  2  

A             2                0                     0                     50                  3

B             0               10                    0                     10                  4

B             1               10                    0                     20                  5

B             2                0                     0                     10                  6

It calculated the endingbal forward incorrectly, and I don't know what I did wrong.  Please advice.  Thanks for million.

Minh Vu

• Sorry, I don't understand exactly your question... but why do you not use a function?

If you explan me you question, maybe I could help you. I don't understand how you obtain EndingBal...

EndingBal = EndingBal+Inhand-Demand

• I tried to achieve the result that looks like this:

A             0               50                    0                     50                  1

A             1               20                    0                     70                  2  

A             2                0                     0                     70                  3

B             0               10                    0                     10                  4

B             1               10                    0                     20                  5

B             2                0                    10                    10                  6

I want to calculate my endingBal.

Endingbal= previous record's endingbal+current record's inhand-current record's demand.

I don't know how to write a loop that can help me  to update the endingbal field as I process each record.  Thus each day will have to be a separate select statement until the end of the result set. Thanks

Minh

• create table mytable

( item char(1) ,  day int , inhand int , demand int , endingbal int, ind int identity (1,1 )   )

GO

insert mytable

select 'A',0 , 50,  0, 0

insert mytable

select 'A',1 , 20,  0, 0

insert mytable

select 'A',2 , 0,   0, 0

insert mytable

select 'B',0 , 10,  0, 0

insert mytable

select 'B',1 , 10,  0, 0

insert mytable

select 'B',2 , 0,  10, 0

GO

select item, day , inhand ,  demand , endingbal = (select sum ( a.inhand  - a.demand )  from mytable a where a.item = b.item and a.ind<=b.ind  )

, ind

from mytable b

-- Amit

"There is no 'patch' for stupidity."

Download the Updated SQL Server 2005 Books Online.

• Hi Amit,

That's terrific! I couldn't believe that it could be done.  I thought that I had to write a loop statement. Thank you very much.  It's exactly what I tried to achieve.   Before I read your solution, I rewrite my script to :

SELECT item, day, inhand,demand,

EndBal = endingBal+select sum(inhand)

and a.ind<=b.ind) -(select sum(demand)

from #mytable  a where a.item=b.item

and a.ind<=b.ind),0),  ind

FROM mytable b

This works 95% and I had to run an extra update statement to reset my endingbal to 0 if day =0, but yours works 100%.  Again, thank so much for such great way to solve the puzzle. 

Minh

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply