SQL2005 SP4 is here

• Good news from Aaron Bertrand:

http://sqlblog.com/blogs/aaron_bertrand/archive/2010/12/17/sql-server-2005-sp4-is-here.aspx

SP4 no longer is CTP. :kiss:

If you just want the download ref, here it is: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=b953e84f-9307-405e-bceb-47bd345baece

The fix list can be found at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2463332

As always TEST IT, TEST IT, TEST IT before you put it in any production environment !

and work out a DRP for every instance you want to put it on, before you do it !

other blogs and co :

- http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sqlreleaseservices/archive/2010/12/17/sql-server-2005-sp4-rtm-now-available-for-download.aspx?

- some ctp advise http://www.sqlmag.com/article/sql-server-2005/SQL-Server-2005-SP4-What-You-Need-to-Know.aspx

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• sssshhhh! Don't tell managers, they'll want it installed over christmas, 'whilst its quite' 🙂

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• sorry for that :Whistling: 😉

btw If these managers have some kind of awareness, they would understand you first need to test it on a DBA-only instance, before you can implement it on your devs systems or qa or prod

:alien:

Johan

• Thanks for the heads up ... nice quite Saturday .... downloading was quick ... Again thanks

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• Installed it on my laptop instance.

It took 30 minutes.

First impressions: seems to be working fine.

First startup of SQLAgent got a "Warning [1]: Possible date calculation spin for Schedule 1". ( schedule 1 start date 2003-04-08 )

After having run a job using that schedule, everything seems fine.

After stop/start of sqlagent the message didn't re-occur.

Johan

• I knew this was coming, and it's great news that it's out.

Downloading myself now.

• What's with the change since the CTP?

CTP: "Supported Operating Systems:Windows 7;Windows Server 2003;Windows Server 2008;Windows Vista"

RTM: "Supported Operating Systems:Windows 7;Windows Server 2008;Windows Server 2008 R2;Windows Vista"

The readme seems to point to the original platform guidance, which is fine with Server 2003 (and XP for Dev). Is this simply because Server 2003 and 2003 R2 are now in Extended support, or could Server 2003/R2 have issues?

• Apparently, on a side by side client install it breaks SQL2008 SSMS project stuff.

- New project on a new folder generates "creating project failed"

- opening an existing sql2008 project generates "the located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (exception from HRESULT: 0x81131040)"

I'm still trying to figure out what's going on and how to fix it, but just wanted to let you know.

Johan

• Ewan Hampson (12/20/2010)

What's with the change since the CTP?

CTP: "Supported Operating Systems:Windows 7;Windows Server 2003;Windows Server 2008;Windows Vista"

RTM: "Supported Operating Systems:Windows 7;Windows Server 2008;Windows Server 2008 R2;Windows Vista"

The readme seems to point to the original platform guidance, which is fine with Server 2003 (and XP for Dev). Is this simply because Server 2003 and 2003 R2 are now in Extended support, or could Server 2003/R2 have issues?

Very good question. Where would/should we turn for guidance on this? Given that all of our 2005 installs are on 2003, this could be a significant problem.

• Ewan Hampson (12/20/2010)

What's with the change since the CTP?

That is indeed a very strange glitch.

It would be very annoying having a service pack forcing you to upgrade to a new version of the OS.:crazy:

Johan

• Apparently I'm hitting a "Don't" advise of MS: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/961638

after applying SP4 :crying:

Johan

• There's not much new at all in SP4, compared to the previously released cumulative updates for SP3.

Are people excited about this primarily because Service Packs are perceived as being better tested than cumulative updates, and so more acceptable to the powers-that-be?

• SQLkiwi (12/21/2010)

There's not much new at all in SP4, compared to the previously released cumulative updates for SP3.

Are people excited about this primarily because Service Packs are perceived as being better tested than cumulative updates, and so more acceptable to the powers-that-be?

Indeed, that habit still goes. ( as goes that assumption on "better tested" )

Now I can request butget (read: eval time, test time and down times) to implement at as much instances as possible .

Johan

• ALZDBA (12/20/2010)

Apparently, on a side by side client install it breaks SQL2008 SSMS project stuff.

- opening an existing sql2008 project generates "the located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (exception from HRESULT: 0x81131040)"

I'm still trying to figure out what's going on and how to fix it, but just wanted to let you know.

On my laptop with SSMS 2005 and 2008 installed, I used to get this message all the time. To fix it for 2008, I needed to uninstall SSMS for 2008, and reinstall them. Which then broke it for 2005, so you'd have to do the reverse to fix it for 2005. What I finally did to "permanently" "solve" this was to completely uninstall the SSMS for both versions, then install SSMS 2008. I just needed to be careful of working with maintenance plans on 2005 servers - SSMS has something different (don't remember right now) that would cause them to be invalid if saved - but SSMS 2005 would fix it when opening it up.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• WayneS (12/21/2010)

ALZDBA (12/20/2010)

Apparently, on a side by side client install it breaks SQL2008 SSMS project stuff.

On my laptop with SSMS 2005 and 2008 installed, I used to get this message all the time. To fix it for 2008, I needed to uninstall SSMS for 2008, and reinstall them. Which then broke it for 2005, so you'd have to do the reverse to fix it for 2005. What I finally did to "permanently" "solve" this was to completely uninstall the SSMS for both versions, then install SSMS 2008. I just needed to be careful of working with maintenance plans on 2005 servers - SSMS has something different (don't remember right now) that would cause them to be invalid if saved - but SSMS 2005 would fix it when opening it up.

Thank you for the feedback.

Today I've downloaded CU5 for SQL2008R2. I'll first test if that fixes the issue, but if it doesn't, I'll have to fall back to the solution you mentioned.

The issue with the maintenance plan is that it is actually an SSIS package at SQLServer side, to you'll have to use the 2005 for sql2005.

Johan

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply