SQL2012 Cluster with 3 SQL2012 instances of SP1 already on Active/Active/Passive servers need to add 1 more instance

• We have a SQL2012 Cluster with 3 SQL2012 instances of SP1 already on Active/Active/Passive servers and need to add 1 more SQL2012 instance to the cluster. My question is when installing the new instance of SQL 2012, will installing just the RTM version of SQL2012 with the added instance affect the shared features of SQL2012 that are installed on the Active/Active/Passive servers for the other 3 SQL instances that are active and have common components such as SSIS or does SQL recognize there is a newer version with SP1 already included for the shared features. I want to make sure I don't have production issues with SSIS or an shared functionality after installing the new SQL instance because my thought is by default SQL tries to install the default shared features each time. So I don't want to have shared feature issues before applying SP1 to get to the same levels in production.

Thoughts?

• 1. Test it out

2. I would be shocked if a new install overwrote your pre-existing, patched, shared features.

3. Patch as part of your new installs

You could also take advantage of that passive node, so that you're only doing your install on a passive node.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply