SQL2014 Developer disable Enterprise features

• I found it once on the web but cannot find it again. I believe it had to do with Data Tools. We have many projects that we run in 2014 Developer mode but some (not all) get jittery that Enterprise features may be inadvertently used.

I have the script to find them but what they are looking for is a No No message you can't do that, so there is not a lot of time/effort wasted.

Anyone

?

• Frankie-464050 (4/1/2016)

I found it once on the web but cannot find it again. I believe it had to do with Data Tools. We have many projects that we run in 2014 Developer mode but some (not all) get jittery that Enterprise features may be inadvertently used.

I have the script to find them but what they are looking for is a No No message you can't do that, so there is not a lot of time/effort wasted.

Anyone

?

To better understand what you're asking, please define the following:

"project"

"Developer mode"

"jittery"

Are you asking how you can develope using SQL Server Developer Edition, which contains full Enterprise Edtion feature set, but you want to enforce a restriction that only Standard Edition features be used for development, because Standard Edition is the target edition for production deployment?

The short answer is that you cannot disable features in Developer Edition, or any edition for that matter, unless it's a feature (like DQS or FileStream) that requires a separate installation or configuration.

However, you can do the following:

- Familiarize yourself with the list of features only supported by Enterprise Edition and insure that all development team members are also aware.

- Occasionally run the following query within your development database to see if there are any Enterprise features in use.

select * from sys.dm_db_persisted_sku_features;

- Deploy your database to production frequently (ie: continuous integration), so if there is a feature in use that isn't supported by your production environment (Standard Edition), then you will discover the issue early in the development process and take corrective action.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• We have many projects that we run in 2014 Developer mode

What do you mean by this?

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• "What do you mean by this"

Disallow Enterprise features in SQL Server Developer Edition.

Short answer.. Can't do that

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply