..NET Application on XP Box:

1) Connects to SQL 7.0 just fine.

2) Connects to SQL2000 just fine.

..NET Application on Win98 Box:

1) Connects to SQL 7.0 just fine.

2) Does NOT connect to SQL2000

This is using the same exact connection string all four

times (except I change the DB server):

"data source=MrSQL2000Server;initial catalog=MyDatabase;integrated security=SSPI;persist security info=False;packet size=4096"

I just think it's odd that Win98 seems to be using integrated security when attaching to SQL7.0 yet cannot do the same with SQL2000.

HERE IS THE ERROR I GET:

Login Failure for User "(null)". Reason: Not associated with Trusted SQL Server Connection.

• Do you run default instance or named instance in SQL Server 2000?

• I'm not entirely sure what you mean by the question.

The SQL Server is a dedicated SQL2000 server with the name TickerTracker so that I can pick it by name from the Enterprise Management Console and attach to it. (If that is what you mean by named)

Do you mind explaining why your question is important?

• You can install SQL Server as default or named instance. The SQL Server name will be machine name if the installation is default instance, It will be machinename\instance name if it is installed as named instance. In order to connect to named instance, you have to have MDAC 2.6 or above install into your client machine. In SQL Server 7.0, you can have only default instance but you can have one default instance and multiple named instances in SQL Server 2000 installations.

Windows XP comes with MDAC 2.6 so it supports accessing named instance but Windows 98 doesn't have MDAC 2.6 above if you do not install the MDAC specificly to the machine, you will not be able to access named instance.

Edited by - Allen_Cui on 06/25/2003 2:57:36 PM

• Okay, because I love the programming community I'm going to let loose with a little bit of

As it turns out, I didn't have the Win98 box as a member of the domain, therefore validation for SQL2000 was failing on that point.

What I still think is odd is that SQL7.0 had no problem dishing up data to me while SQL2000 did. Obviously, SQL2000 is a bit tighter on the security side.

Anyways, I learned through this and I thank those that contributed.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply