SQLAgent - Generic Refresher & Alert Engine

• Hello,

Over the weekend I noticed couple things happened on our machines.

1.) The service has been changed from LocalSystem account to a local admin account based service. Not sure why this got changed, but what's the right way to set the service up?

2.) "Domain\ServerName$" is the login name under which SQLAgent - Generic Refresher & SQLAgent - Alert Engine has started. I checked the services, but they have LocalSystem for LogOn in the properties window. So this is not quite clear to me, why it's displayed as "Domain\ServerName$" rather than "NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM" as login.

3.) On a third machine, I don't see the above two services being run, but when I check the services, they are running. Now I am completely confused.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

• Hiya, not sure what you are describing here.  Go to enterprise manager and check the sql server and sql agent properties and from here determine what windows account is being used.  This should match what you see under the windows services properties in the log on tab for each of these services.

You should always change the login that starts the two services from Enterprise manager not from windows services gui.

Also what version of windows are you running on each of the servers?

Derek

• 1.) The service has been changed from LocalSystem account to a local admin account based service. Not sure why this got changed, but what's the right way to set the service up?

Can someone shed some light on what's the right way to set the service up?

2.) "Domain\ServerName$" is the login name under which SQLAgent - Generic Refresher & SQLAgent - Alert Engine has started. I checked the services, but they have LocalSystem for LogOn in the properties window. So this is not quite clear to me, why it's displayed as "Domain\ServerName$" rather than "NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM" as login.

3.) On a third machine, I don't see the above two services being run, but when I check the services, they are running. Now I am completely confused.

After starting the agent through EM the service is "truely" running. I am not sure why this was mislabelled as running under services gui.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

We are running Windows 2K.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply