SQLDiag running amok.

• I am having occurances of a server running out of disk space because SQLDiag.txt grew and took up all the disk. It will run amok until all the disk space is gone. I'm trying to record the when, where, etc. so I can find out if there is any consistency with the occurances. It is happening on a couple of different servers and only seems to happen on SQL Server 2000. I haven't been able to find anything online about this issue and what might be causing it. Has anyone else seen this happen and might know the cause/solution?

-SQLBill

• I haven't seen this, but SQLDiag grabs a lot of info and could eat up space. I think you can determine where this space is, so maybe you can run it from another drive?

If you think it's bad, I'd log a note with MS. They use that tool extensively in PSS. Maybe they can help. The PSS blog is here:

http://blogs.msdn.com/psssql/

• Doesn't matter which disk it's on. The sqldiag.txt will grow until all the disk space is gone.

It isn't happening consistently enough, but I do have an idea of what the issue might be. At my last job, we had something similar happen with NetBackup. If Netbackup accessed a file while anti-virus was accessing it, it created a _vxfivspcachefile that would grow until the process was stopped or it ran out of disk space. I think, but haven't been able to prove yet, that SQLDiag might be accessing a file while something else is using it. For example, SQLDiag trying to read an error log at the same time it is being cycled.

So for now I'm trying to gather more information on when this occurs and what else is happening. And I was hoping someone else saw this behavior, but it doesn't look that way. Searching the internet for it didn't find anything.

-SQLBill

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply