"sqlmaint.exe failed" in backup job using xp_Sqlmaint

• this is killing me!!  MSSQLServer and SQLServer Agent are running under the "Local System" account.  I have a job with one step that has the following command:

EXECUTE master.dbo.xp_sqlmaint N'-D ISIS_PRO -WriteHistory  -VrfyBackup -BkUpMedia DISK -BkUpDB  -UseDefDir  -DelBkUps 7days -BkExt "BAK"'

This works beautifully for 95% of my users, but a small percent get no backup files created, and the following error message in the job-history:

"Executed as user: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM. sqlmaint.exe failed. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 22029).  The step failed." 

If I run SQLMAINT.EXE from a command-line with the same options, it works fine.  I was able to "fix" this for one user by setting his MSSQLSERVER and Agent services to run under an "Admin" account, but did not have the same success with another account.
      Does anybody know what rights/priveledges are necessary for the Local System to run a backup (to a local hard-drive), and how to check it?  All replies are appreciated!  I have had a terrible time finding helpful info.

• See my post in the T-SQL group.

--------------------
    Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

• And my post too (among others...)  Steve

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply