SQLSERVER 2010 into 2005

• I have a database developed in sqlserver 2010. Now i want to import it in 2005 ti view it.

Is it possible?

• There is no such thing as SQL Server 2010. I believe you are referring to SQL 2008 R2.

In either case, you won't be able to detach and attach, or backup and restore as SQL Server doesn't allow for that.

In addition, if you used any of the new data types for SQL 2008/R2 the database also won't be compatible with 2005.

That said, you could script out the database and run the scripts against a 2005 instance to recreate the structure and then use SSIS to move the data.

--Mark Tassin
    MCITP - SQL Server DBA
    Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
    For help with Performance click this link[/url]
    For tips on how to post your problems[/url]

• Actually i got a backup from other developer who developed in 2010. i have 2005 installed ...i just want to view tables and ERD.

Can i simply use it?

when i use FILE->open it give me issue...

• There is no such thing as SQL 2010. Are you perhaps talking about Visual Studio 2010? If so, is it a database project? You probably could deploy it to 2005 if SQL 2008/R2 data types aren't used in the project.

Modern SQL Server has come in SQL 2005, 2008, 2008 R2, and now 2012. (some would discount 2005 as modern anymore)

There are also 7, 2000, 6.5, 4.something, etc.

In all cases backups are not backwards compatible.

You can restore a backup from a previous version to the current version within limits (for instance SQL 7 backups cannot be restored to SQL 2008 R2).

--Mark Tassin
    MCITP - SQL Server DBA
    Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
    For help with Performance click this link[/url]
    For tips on how to post your problems[/url]

• Why not get yourself a copy of SQL Server Express 2012 and restore the db to an instance there.

Here's a link. You should get one of the Management Studio versions in order to be able to do your investigations.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply