SQLServer Agent Output File

• Hi Folks,

Here is the error Im recieving

Executed as user: Domain\Account. Warning: cannot write logfile c:\Log.txt. Writing to log files is only allowed to jobs that are owned by sysadmin. Please consider writing log to table. The step failed

The above error is killing me. I dont want to give sysadmin rights to the account just because its need to write output of the job to a file.

Is their any workaround other than giving admin rights?

Any help is really appreciated.

• Two things I can think of,

1 - have a secondary job which is fired from the completion of Job 1, which pulls the information from the sysjobstepslogs table and runs as SA and outputs to the file system,

2 - have a second step which runs under a proxy account which has access to dump to the file system, then use something like BCP to query sysjobstepslogs and dump it to a file on the filesystem.

• Thanks Anthony. The reason I am looking for log file because SQL doesnt put complete log in table as it will be truncated after its limit.

• the log column of sysjobstepslog is nvarchar(max) so can hold up to 2gb of data, so should be more than enough when logging to the table.

• thanks

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply