SQLServer monitoring tools - alternitives to QUEST.

• All,

Hopefully you will be able to help me with a problem I have.

We are a large Oracle site who are starting to pick up SQLServer. The SQLServer expertise we have on this site is low compared to our Oracle experience.

We have a new system that is due to go live over the next few weeks (SQLServer of course...) and we are worried about the performance of the database.

It runs on a Cluster or 4 processors and 8Gb RAM if that makes any difference.

We are a existing user of Quest Central on Oracle. In particular we like the Spotlight on Oracle tool. It provides real time graphical analysis about what is happening 'under the hood' of the database to help us track down where performance bottlenecks might be.

Although we might end up extending our licence with Quest to cover Spotlight on SQLServer I would like to explore other alternitives.

Are there any other monitoring products anyone uses and would recommend ? The Microsoft provided SQLServer tools are not detailed enough IMO to be very useful in a performance issue where I might not fully understand the nature of the problem to begin with.

Thanks in advance.

Adam

• There is a SQL Profiler that comes with SQL Server.

You can see alot of things from SQL Profiler.

Hope this helps

• I use MRTG and performance counters logged to a CSV file, plus several home grown scripts to put it all together.  MRTG creates the graphs.  With the CSVs, I can create my own graphs.  This is free.

SNMP4PC or so, is one payware that comes to mind.  It has some features.

Argent Guardian is one payware that comes to mind.  Looks like lots of features.

Also, there's several SPs you can run to get memory, disk io, buffer status, proc cache etc.. 

• Take a look at http://www.netiq.com for their NetIQ SQL Management Suite ( AppManager, ConfigurationManager, DiagnosticManager & RecoveryManager )

We use this toolset & it works very well.

j

p.s remember to mention i sent you

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply