SQLServerAgent Error 14258

• I have a SQL Server 2000 SP2 on W2k. The W2k Service Pack 3 and hot fixes were applied about a week ago. Also, at that time Terminal Services and anti-virus scanning software was installed.

After the W2k SP3 was applied, SQLServerAgent did not start up automatically and I restarted it manually. This weekend, the server had to be moved to another rack and this time it looks like SQLServerAgent is running, but it really isn't. When I try to run a job, I get "Error 14258: Cannot perform this operation while SQLServerAgent is starting. Try again later." I have tried stopping and restarting the service several times as well as changing the startup account from local system to a domain account. We are scheduling a reboot this evening. There is nothing in the SQL Server Logs, SQL Server Agent logs or application log that looks suspicious. The application log says "SQLServerAgent service successfully started."

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Kathi

Aunt Kathi Data Platform MVP
    Author of Expert T-SQL Window Functions
    Simple-Talk Editor

• Strange...the antivirus is in the same box as the sql server?. If so, try to start the sql agent with the antivirus disabled.

• Encountered same problem following sp3 install. Right click My Computer, Manage, Services and Applications, Services. You will see SQL Server Agent in 'Starting' mode. I had to restart server then all services started.

• Nothing has worked so far. The really odd thing is that in Enterprise Manager and the services applet, it looks like it is running. I have also restored a copy of MSDB from 3 weeks ago. I am going to open a ticket with Microsoft. Let you know how it goes.

Simple-Talk Editor

• Here's the problem: There were two settings turned on that shouldn't have been turned on. One was "Use Windows NT Fibers" and the other was "Boost SQL Server Priority on Windows".

Microsoft said to turn off the "Use Windows NT Fibers" and recycle the service, but it still didn't make any difference. So, since I didn't have anything to lose, I went ahead and changed the "Boost " setting as well. That did the trick!

MS said that the fiber setting and SQL Server Agent was a known bug, but it is not published in TechNet.

Thanks,

Kathi

Simple-Talk Editor

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply