SQLServerCentral Rules of Conduct

• Heheh I've seen some Joe bashing in person - like at SQLPass in Grapevine, TX last year. I was actually on his side, sitting there in the front row. Guess that's why he gave me his latest book

Counterpoints and arguments are healthy, and I wasn't really bashed necessarily, but a kinder, more gentler approach might be a best practice. I mean, we're not on the Notre Dame, OU, or USC message boards - it's supposed to be a professional board void of beatdowns, IMHO. In my case, I spent a goodly amount of time putting together a little piece that, truthfully, I haven't used in a long time and might never use again. (Interesting that an old boss at an insurance company read the article and said they used bitmasking for one of their operations). However, I've always thought that it was slick, even if it can't be used every day. Oh well. Is it beer 30 yet?

• Steve,

While I do believe that the article you posted is good and provides constructive guidance, one thing is still a little itchy... Red-Gate bought this site so it can better push and sell its tools to the 300K+ users who were happy with a diverse knowledgebase and providers (e.g. see ads in newsletters, on site, etc.) thus eliminating the visibility that users had in the past to great tools offered by other companies (even though most tools were not related to Red-Gate offerings, and so on).

Bottom line- I feel that other and greater "rules of conduct" that have not been addressed in the article have been severely violated by non-Kosher means.

My 2 cents...

ps. Steve - I have been following your postings, articles, and contribution to this community over the years and have no doubt about your goals and motives to help the community. The comment above is not directed against you or your article- just a general observation that occupied my mind regarding "rules of conduct"...

Dr. B.

Editor's Note: : Dr. Omri Bahat works for SQLFarms, a software vendor of SQL Server tools.

• Steve,

This is great advice, not only for here, but also for any type of electronic communication. Too often people get upset at something in an email because you can't tell what "tone" the person is trying use.

Sometimes, if I get the sense of bashing or belligerence in someone's post, I might skip over it. This is unfortunate as I am sure the poster probably has some good information to get across.

If you feel like you need to insult someone, click "Start | Run ", type Notepad, and write every insult you can think of. Then click "File | Exit" and don't save your work.

I wish we could do something like this during meetings or conversations.

As you said, there are users with all levels of experience that use this site. A previous supervisor told me you can never stop learning. I think this is true in any IT profession. This article and Jeff Moden's article (http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/) are a big benefit to all who use this site.:cool:

Ian.

"If you are going through hell, keep going."
    -- Winston Churchill

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply