SqlServerInstallation

• Hi everyone,

I have been given a CD to install SqlServer 2005 in that i can see

SQL Server™ 2005 Enterprise Edition (English)

SQL Server™ 2005 Enterprise Edition - 64-bit Extended (English)

SQL Server™ 2005 Enterprise Edition - 64-bit Itanium (English)

SQL Server™ 2005 Standard Edition, Disc 1 (English)

SQL Server™ 2005 Standard Edition, Disc 2 (English)

SQL Server™ 2005 Standard Edition - 64-bit Extended, Disc 1 (English)

SQL Server™ 2005 Standard Edition - 64-bit Extended, Disc 2 (English)

SQL Server™ 2005 Standard Edition - 64-bit Itanium, Disc 1 (English)

SQL Server™ 2005 Standard Edition - 64-bit Itanium, Disc 2 (English)

Now can anyone please help me what should i install among these and what are the basic things i need to install?

Appreciate any help

• Depends on the license that has been bought and the hardware and OS you want to install it on.

If you have the Enterprise license then use the Enterprise edition.

If you have 64 bit hardware and a 64 bit OS then use the 64 bit version.

enterprise edition is significantly more expensive but facilities such as partitioning, mirroring etc are great boons.

64 bit editions allow more memory to be used but on large databases you have to watch out for the procedure cache getting out of control because it is no longer limited to the bottom 2GB of RAM.

• The Basic things that you would like to install would also depends on what your server needs to to be installed.

You have a choice to install one or more of the following SQL Server components.

SQL DB Engine,

SSAS,

SSRS,

SSIS

The Client Tools are needed and workstation components would need to be installed in order to work on that machine.

Bru Medishetty

Blog -- LearnSQLWithBru

Join on Facebook Page Facebook.comLearnSQLWithBru

Twitter -- BruMedishetty

• It depends on what the server is for as to which version you are going to install. If it is for a develpment environment, then the Standard Edition may cover what you need. Otherwise, it will most likely be one of the Enterprise Editions that you need. In any case, you may or may not need the disc 2 in the version chosen depending on what components are selected to be installed.

Other than that I would say that the other items already posted need to be considered and applied as well.

Joie Andrew
    "Since 1982"

• It depends on what the server is for as to which version you are going to install. If it is for a develpment environment, then the Standard Edition may cover what you need. Otherwise, it will most likely be one of the Enterprise Editions that you need. In any case, you may or may not need the disc 2 in the version chosen depending on what components are selected to be installed.

Other than that I would say that the other items already posted need to be considered and applied as well.

Joie Andrew
    "Since 1982"

• Thanks for every one it worked.

• If it is for a development environment, then the Standard Edition may cover what you need..

Worth buying developer edition. All the features of enterprise edition but for the price of a tank of petrol.

• Good point. Also, you can't develop against features you don't have.

Joie Andrew
    "Since 1982"

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply